Disney Mania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Disney Princess Line

Go down 
+3
phalangeregina
jeangreyforever
Disney's Divinity
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 03, 2021 1:58 am

That's really neat that Anastasia is pretty popular in Latin America. Who are the lesser popular princesses there? I love learning which Disney characters/movies resonate more in other cultures and countries, sorta like what Phalangeregina shared here about which princesses are most liked in India. And yes, even here in the US, Anastasia is generally mistaken as a Disney Princess. I think popular talk show host Conan made that mistake on TV once. I remember Anastasia was always in the Disney DVD aisle at stores and moms would come to the Disney Store asking where the Anastasia dolls were. I've heard of Thalia before. It reminds me of how the singer Aaliyah did her pop version of Journey to the Past when Anastasia came out so I guess hiring Thalia would have been like hiring Aaliyah as Anastasia' voice. I can see why that wouldn't work very well and why you would prefer the Castilian Anastasia.

That's a pity he's never seen TLM although I'm a bit biased since that's my favorite movie. It's kinda sad that your friend's only exposure to Aurora is from Maleficent II, that comes across as sacrilege to me lol. I'm not surprised the fond memories he has don't necessarily come from the movie. Like you guys I don't have a high opinion of most of the live-action remakes either. I only really like Cinderella and The Jungle Book. Oh, that makes sense as to why your aunt is so restrictive of Disney movies since I know a lot of moms these days (including Keira Knightley) have said they won't let their kids watch Disney for being anti-feminist. Sleeping Beauty tends to get the brunt of it from the title alone. And like you said, it's really one of the most feminist movies but people ignore that because they either haven't seen the movie or they haven't seen it since they were kids so they barely remember it. I took a fairy tale class once and a lot of Cinderella haters were surprised how empowered she was in the Disney movie when our instructor screened it for us, because they hadn't seen the movie in forever. Although it is strange that your aunt has issues with the Disney movies but she doesn't mind reading fairy tales to her students, since not only are they darker like you said, but often those fairy tales get a worse reputation than the Disney movies based on them. That's a pity your aunt got rid of the DP storybook. Maybe she kept it for her students instead assuming it's age appropriate.

This user sounds like they are taking a page out of BB's page and deleting their accusations on the wall lol. Tbh, I never noticed BB much besides the fact that she has very distinctive polls because she's always comparing the princesses to her favorite Anime characters, so I could automatically tell which polls were hers without even checking the author. I never paid enough attention to her to get any bad vibes off of her, except for once when a user posted on the wall about how they were being extensively bullied. A lot of other users were supporting that user but BB chimed in only to complain about how it was unfair that when she was bullied, nobody ever cared enough to step in but now they all cared when it happened to someone else. I'm not sure if BB publicly talked about being cyberbullied before, but it didn't seem in good taste to complain about one's own situation when another user is being bullied. Beyond that though, she never popped up on my radar until the incident with the Frozen II song. As I told BB, I never even check the articles section anymore since there haven't been any in so many years so I was unaware she had posted anything. I probably would have acted differently had I known what that song meant to her. As I told BB, everyone on Fanpop has their own opinions but I've never seen an incident where one user told another that their opinion was wrong and they have to change it. That is strange but unsurprising how the Anime-fan account talks exactly like BB even in pms. That's sweet of you to be kind to BB in her hour of need. You're right that Wavesurf might have just been doing the same thing, especially since I know Wavesurf has been extensively bullied on Fanpop and she claimed that she's made peace with a lot of them. Thanks for the understanding, and like you, I hope everyone else makes it out of this situation okay since it seems like a bunch of unnecessary drama and I regret ever posting about Frozen II in the first place lol.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 03, 2021 9:09 pm

I think the least popular princesses are the same as everywhere else. Pocahontas and Tiana the most. Although with Tiana I've come to heard people saying she's underrated so many times that I actually think the opposite, kind of like with Mulan. Merida was popular when she came out but afterwards people seemed to forget about her, although some people my age still remember and like her. From the first six it has to be Aurora...

Not only did this classmate not watch TLM but he was under the (sadly common) impression that Ariel changed and left her world for a man. I started defending him talking about the lyrics of Part of Your World and saying that he couldn't just judge a movie he didn't watch but I think that's when we changed the topic to Maleficent 2... So yes, that's two things I felt rather disappointed by lol. I think that's indeed the case with most of the princess haters in general, they haven't watched the movies either in a long time or ever at all. I remember there was some family tension a few years back due to precisely those original fairytales, because during a parents meeting at the school, it was actually her own husband (my uncle) who questioned the tales they were telling lol. Maybe she has some bad childhood memories of the movies or something, because I don't see how she'd rather tell the stories the way they originally were instead of letting her kids watch the Disney versions. I'd like to think she kept the storybook for her students but I find it hard to believe.

Yes, those polls are very recognizable indeed. Tbh I didn't know about that previous situation, but I don't think it's right to make something about oneself when another person is suffering. Anyway I really don't know what else to say about what happened; I just hope is nothing similar happens again...
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 5:30 pm

I've never heard of Tiana being popular anywhere. In many countries of the world, particularly Asian ones, she's not even known let alone promoted. The sad thing about her is that the US is probably the country she gets the most recognition but she's still the least popular princess there alongside Pocahontas. Mulan has always had a solid fanbase amongst millennials who grew up with her, whereas Tiana has never captured that kind of attention. I agree that Merida gets pretty ignored now. Disney didn't seem to know how to market her and her movie wasn't a big enough success for Pixar to bother with promoting still either. That's a pity about Aurora but that seems true for most of the world.

I don't know why so many people who don't even watch the Disney movies feel they should be allowed to judge. I'm sorry to hear about family tension with your aunt and uncle. It's possible that the stories she tells at school are mandated by the school so she doesn't actually want to have anything to do with them but she has to. Whereas she has no obligation to do the same with Disney movies.

I don't think Fanpop is gonna change tbh. There's always some drama brewing or another, usually due to a very infamous user although several of the past ones seem to have finally gone away.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 9:00 pm

Was going to reply yesterday but Wi-Fi crashed and after it started working again I completely forgot. Anyway, Tiana is indeed quite unpopular. Not that I mind though, since she's one of my least favorites lol.

Yesterday I was also going to post about the kind of voices that fit the Renaissance princesses the best for me but I guess I'm going to do it either a bit later or tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 06, 2021 2:20 am

Hey, that's all right. It's happened to me before too. Take your time.

And yeah, she's one of my least favorites as well so it doesn't bother me either lol.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 6:44 pm

Totally forgot about this (again lol). Anyway, what I planned to write last time was something like this:

Ariel: she should have a youthful and beautiful voice above all, since that's a vital part of her character, more than for most other princesses. I think versions like Bulgarian, Slovak, English or Portuguese manage to embody the curious and free-spirited teenager that Ariel is, but there's some other versions (such as French 1989) that give a more sad, melancholic and longing sound to her, and I also like that (if done well).

Belle: I think her voice should reflect her cultured, intellectual personality, but denoting her politeness and kindness. Belle's songs don't require "big" voices like other princesses', so often her voices don't exactly stand out; but I like it when they give Belle a personal touch. Some Belles sound sort of quirky (Finnish) while others are more reserved (Hindi). I think my favorites here would be Swedish, German and Icelandic.

Jasmine: for me her voice should reflect a strong girl who longs for freedom, and also should capture what she feels during A Whole New World: therefore, she should sound romantic (obviously) and happy (as if the voice actress was actually riding the magic carpet). A few examples: Norwegian, Croatian, Latin Spanish, Slovak 2013.

Pocahontas: she should sound wise (of course). But I notice that a lot of Pocahontas' voices sound very serious, and while sometimes it works, I like it when she sounds like the playful teenager she also is. And of course she should have the vocal abilities required for these songs. There's many great voices to choose from, but some of my favorites are German, Castilian, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Portuguese (Portugal did really amazing with all of the Renaissance girls except for Jasmine imo), Malay and Japanese.

Mulan: contrary to (surprisingly) a lot of people, I don't believe Mulan should sound harsh and rough; I actually quite dislike that kind of voice on her. By the time she sings her songs, she's just a girl trying to find her place in the world; she isn't supposed to sound like a confident warrior. That's why I like soft, reserved voices that convey the sad feeling of Reflection. Cantonese is my favorite but I also think Swedish, Finnish, Thai and Indonesian are quite fitting.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 7:44 pm

That's all right lol.

I agree with all your characterizations. Ariel has to have the most beautiful voice so the singing aspects are more important for her than anyone else. Jodi Benson was originally also supposed to voice Belle but Disney decided that they wanted a more European sounding actress for her instead. Jasmine's voice has always been interesting because Linda Larkin has a very high voice so it's very distinctive. She might have the highest voice out of all the princesses since Snow White and that captures a very magical quality. I love to hear that Pocahontas' voice actresses are able to balance out her serious nature with her playfulness. I haven't heard too many Mulans though, but I know she's often difficult to cast because the actress has to convincingly portray a man as well.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 6:56 pm

Yes, I knew that about Jodi Benson, but while I much prefer her voice over Paige O'Hara's, is a bit strange imagining her as Belle. It also makes sense that they wanted Belle to sound more European. I know most of the times these two characters have been dubbed together, the voice actress usually did another character(s) as well: for example, Croatian Ariel/Belle also dubbed Aurora and Jasmine. Linda Larkin's voice is indeed very distinctive, and I didn't realize it was the highest since Snow White but now I can definitely see it. With Mulan I know that, like with Aurora, a lot of dubs used different speaking and singing voice actresses. For instance, the French speaking voice sounded convincing enough in the only Ping scene that I watched in YouTube, while the singing voice is rather girly (she also dubbed Ariel but I prefer her as Mulan because of the performance, even though the voice itself fits Ariel more).
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 3:17 am

I prefer Jodi's voice over Paige's as well but I'm a bit biased anyway since Ariel is my favorite princess. That is interesting though that both characters are often dubbed by the same actress in other countries. Aurora's voice is interesting because while she's singing it's very high but not as much with her speaking voice. I know Lea Salonga was originally supposed to voice Mulan's speaking voice as well, not just her singing voice. Disney seemed to like using her after her success as Jasmine's singing voice and were willing to give her the full role for Mulan. The problem was that she couldn't pass off as a male convincingly enough, which is why Ming-Na Wen was brought onboard. Usually Disney would hire the speaking voice first and then need a singing voice after when their speaking voice wasn't able to sing well enough (that was the case for Aladdin, Jasmine, Esmeralda, and I think Pocahontas as well), but with Mulan it was the opposite case where the speaking voice was cast after shortcomings with the singing voice. So I'm not shocked that Mulan also has multiple voices everywhere else.

Also I just saw your new signature picture. I absolutely love it! It's so inventive to give each princess a color to fill out a rainbow. I love that you have Aurora in blue, Jasmine in purple, and Cinderella in white. Did you give Wendy seafoam green/aqua because blue was already taken by Aurora? I love that you included her btw, Wendy is so underrated. You might like this vintage t-shirt I found online featuring the classic six princesses along with Alice, Wendy, Minnie, and Daisy. I love seeing all of Disney's major female stars together especially since Wendy is so rarely ever featured on merchandise, let alone with the other female characters.
The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 P0-3
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 7:43 pm

Oh, I didn't know that about Lea Salonga. It's indeed rather weird to imagine her faking a male voice. I know that in Latin Spanish, they cast the singing voice of Jasmine because the speaking one couldn't sing well enough; when said speaking voice actress dubbed Mulan as well, she had already improved her singing abilities but they still cast Jasmine's singing voice to sing HTUA and Reflection.

Thank you very much! I had a lot of fun making the picture. I considered putting Ariel in blue and Aurora in pink but I didn't like the Enchanted Dreams screencaps very much; I also thought about putting Mulan and Cinderella in pink, but there wasn't any other option for the green one (I definitely wouldn't have put Tiana) and I love my edit of Cinderella's picture way too much lol. I wish I had been able to put Alice in as well but there would've been way too much blue (and yes, Wendy's picture seemed fitting for the aqua part, and blue was already taken by Aurora - Jasmine could've worked for aqua but I prefer her in purple). Wendy is certainly very underrated, more so than even some of the other unofficial princesses/heroines. Loved that t-shirt's picture, I wish there was more material like it.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2021 6:04 pm

I guess they still cast Jasmine's singing voice for consistency even if the actress could sing by now.

I don't blame you for not wanting to use Enchanted Tales Aurora, even if that is the only option for a movie closeup of Aurora in pink. I always thought Aurora looked better in blue anyway. I guess you also could have potentially used Ariel's sparkling seafoam dress at the end for aqua and then use Wendy for blue if you got a pic of Aurora in pink, but the current layout works just as well. There's not a lot of options for green unless you used Tinker Bell or a newer heroine like Anna. Did you make that edit of Cinderella yourself? It's absolutely wonderful! With both an accurate dress color and hair color. It is a pity that Alice couldn't fit in otherwise. Almost every main Disney heroine wears blue so it's easy to monopolize that color.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 19, 2021 11:36 pm

Oh, it was Enchanted Tales lol. Tbh I barely remember anything from it. I must have been thinking about Taylor Swift's Enchanted & Wildest Dreams mash-up. Yes, I like Aurora in pink but I also prefer her in blue. Ariel's seafoam dress could've worked, for some reason I didn't think about it (which is weird because it's actually the dress I wish she was promoted in). True, I could've basically used any of the girls from the picture for blue (except for Pocahontas). And yes, I edited the picture's colors and I love how it turned out! I'll never understand why they changed Cinderella's coloring in the merchandising. Silver suits her so well, and her original hair color is one of the most beautiful ones ever.

The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 Cinder10
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2021 1:04 pm

I've seen clips of Enchanted Tales, like Jasmine's More than a Peacock Princess song, but I've never bothered with the full movie. I probably would have devoured it had it been released when I was younger but I was out of the age when it came out. The funny thing about Ariel's seafoam dress is that it's very similar to Elsa's. It's also a magical, sparkling dress, which is somewhat similar in color and cut, only it lacks the sleeves and magical cape (and I guess the high heels as well). Considering how popular Elsa's dress turned out, I can't help but wonder if Disney would have had similar success marketing Ariel's magical dress over the pink one they never use besides in clipart. Even with Pocahontas, the one splash of color she has is turquoise for her necklace. The wedding robes that were made for her in a deleted scene were also completely indigo so she nearly had a blue dress (even if she would never wear it). I think the reason Cinderella's dress color changed is because they had issues marketing it as white. It was too boring a color to gear towards small children who want something bright and colorful and there was also the fear it was going to be confused as a wedding dress. So they used an icy blue which gradually became darker over time. I also think her original hair color, titian, is stunning and I hate that they bleached her hair blonde.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2021 9:26 pm

I've always thought Elsa's dress looked similar to Ariel's as well, although I like Ariel's more (even though we see so little of it). I really wish it was her official dress (not sure which one is currently the official one but I'm guessing it's still the redesign dress, which I personally dislike). Her pink dress is okay-ish, it never really stood out to me but I think it's overhated, it's really not as bad as people say. Oh, I didn't know about that deleted Pocahontas II scene. An indigo wedding dress, interesting. It makes sense that they thought an icy blue would work better than silver (at some shots in the dark it looks a bit blue) but I don't like how, well, blue it looks now. There's so many princesses who have blue in their princess outfit and they changed Cinderella's. And while the dress change might make a bit of sense, I can't think of any reason for the hair color change. Both Aurora and Cinderella have that Rapunzel-like blonde hair in the merchandising, when Aurora's hair was originally a lighter shade and Cinderella wasn't a blonde at all. I can see why some people call her a strawberry blonde but that's still far from the canary yellow of the redesign. Maybe I'm biased because I prefer red/red-ish hair in general but still...
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 21, 2021 5:32 pm

Even the slit in the dress is something both dresses share. I like the sleeves and cape that Elsa has though so that makes me lean slightly more in favor of her dress than Ariel's. But I prefer the neckline for Ariel's dress. I think they've returned to the pink dress as her "official look" on clipart. I have mixed feelings about that because I don't think she looks awful in it, but the dress was never my favorite on her either. The shade of pink they use could be better (I'd prefer a coral pink over bubblegum pink) and the dress is too derivative of the previous princesses' dresses. I always liked her blue dress with the bow she wears during the tour of the kingdom or her wedding dress. It's funny that sometimes in the early 2000s they used Ariel's wedding dress as her main look since that's white and they didn't have an issue there, but Cinderella's white dress was still blue. I do think her seafoam dress from the end deserves to get more merchandise since it seems practically forgotten and it's probably the one that would work best as an official look. Here's the deleted scene from Pocahontas where the villagers prepare her dress for her wedding with Kocoum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYZ3K6YiLm8 I agree with you that I don't appreciate how blue Cinderella's dress is now. Icy blue is fine depending on the lightning but it's basically the same shade as Aurora's dress now. Like you said, Aurora's hair has been darkened and Cinderella's has been drastically lightened. For some dolls, Cinderella has platinum blonde hair. It's also strange when sometimes in clipart Aurora is given orange hair (to look golden) while Cinderella has light yellow hair. Even strawberry blonde for Cinderella is still too light for my taste since I also see her as being more of a redhead since titian is the shade Walt Disney intended.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 23, 2021 6:38 pm

I also think Ariel's pink dress would work better if it was a different shade of pink, but the design isn't very special to me either. It makes sense that they've returned to it as her official dress (like in that picture I posted some time ago which excluded Aurora). I wonder if that means Mulan's blue dress is her official one now. I like Ariel's pink dress a lot more than the green redesign one but that's really not saying much. I think her seafoam dress would work much better because, among the lineup, I feel it's more special and original in both design and color (there's Elsa's dress but she isn't an official princess and TLM is older anyway). It also represents one of her happiest moments.

Cinderella has platinum blonde hair in some dolls? Oh God, I don't even know where that misconception came from. Aurora's hair does indeed look orange in some cliparts. I also don't see Cinderella as a strawberry blonde as her hair is darker than that but it's still better than that canary blonde. I was never sure of how to call it, I'm terrible with hair shades anyway lol, but it's good to know it's titian. Her hair might not be an Ariel-like red but it's close to that of Giselle or Anna. With her coloring from the merchandising she looks more like an older Alice than Cinderella.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 25, 2021 3:55 am

I'm not surprised to hear we agree about Ariel's pink dress. The pic you posted, sans Aurora, is also what I was thinking about when it comes to Ariel being in her pink dress again. I'm not sure about Mulan though since she's rarely featured in merchandise but I always did like her blue dress best. I'm not sure how well it sells though. The green dress for Ariel makes her look like a Christmas ornament. Way too much green for my taste especially with that bright red hair. And you're also right that since Elsa isn't even an official DP, that makes more sense then for Ariel to wear that sparkling seafoam dress in the lineup. Not to mention because of Frozen II, Elsa has a new dress now which looks even more dissimilar to Ariel's. I think the main reason Ariel doesn't get the seafoam dress is because it's only onscreen for a a few seconds and is never used in marketing so there's little recognition of it.

Yeah, they really go for as light a blonde color as they can for Cinderella in several of her products. The more blonde she's become over the years, the lighter her hair has become misconstrued as well. The funny thing is as orange as Aurora's hair looks in the clipart, it never even comes close to that shade in the actual movie. In her case, I think being known as a golden blonde is why her hair became darker in clipart since the expectation was that she wasn't a light blonde and orange is sometimes used to portray gold. Titian was a really popular shade of red hair in the 50s and women of that era would all dye their hair that color. So Walt specifically chose titian for Cinderella on that basis. You're right that it's supposed to be more along the lines of Giselle and Anna's hair and Anna actually is characterized as a strawberry blonde. However, even Anna's hair always came across as too dark or too red to be a strawberry blonde. I always felt strawberry blondes were still blondes, just with a reddish tint, whereas Anna's hair clearly makes her a redhead rather than a blonde. Anna was originally meant to have blonde hair, including platinum blonde. Giselle in her wedding dress actually reminds me a lot of Cinderella since both have red hair and a white dress. I agree with you that clipart Cinderella looks more like a grown-up Alice.

https://www.quotev.com/quiz/13812229/Princess-Personality-Profile-Game
BTW I have a Disney Princess quiz I created if you are interested in taking it. It features the six main princesses plus Anastasia. It's actually based off a princess quiz from the Sleeping Beauty DVD (which correctly identified Aurora as a light blonde and said Cinderella was a dark blonde, which while not entirely correct is still better than normal, with her dress color being white) but with expanded questions to accommodate Anastasia.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyMon Jul 26, 2021 7:27 pm

Mulan was also shown with the blue dress in Wi-Fi Ralph so it makes sense. It's also my favorite of her outfits. She's usually shown in the green one but I've always preferred the blue and the pink ones. Oh, Ariel's green dress indeed makes her look like a Christmas ornament. It wouldn't look awful with a different color but that green's just a no for me because of the contrast with her hair. It makes sense that the seafoam dress isn't used because of it's extremely short screentime, although the same can be said about Aurora's pink dress...

Oh, interesting to know that Cinderella's actual hair color was so popular back then. No wonder, I think it's just stunning. I've also seen Anna being called a strawberry blonde and I can't see it either; I didn't know she was supposed to actually be a blonde at first though. I hadn't made that connection about Cinderella and Giselle in her wedding dress but I can see it.

I got Aurora in the test! It was fun to take. Belle came close with 5 answers (6 for Aurora). In this kind of tests I usually get either of these two.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2021 3:00 am

I always liked her blue and pink dresses the most. The pink dress when she is sans makeup and has her hair down. I'm not a fan of the green dress at all and I never saw the appeal of it. There's a reason they don't make dolls or costumes of that dress. It's also funny how it's lime green in clipart but it's more of a dark green in the actual movie. I remember Wavesurf used to say that green dress Ariel looks like a glorified Christmas ornament so we are not the only ones to think that. I always felt green was too on the nose for her since that's her tail color, so why does she need to wear a human dress in the exact same shade? It's more blue-green of a tail in the movie anyway. That's true about Aurora in pink and in the 90s, most of her merchandise did feature her in blue but as Cinderella became the blonde in blue, it became important to change Aurora's dress to pink. I think they also probably felt that putting her in pink would help her sell more for girls who wanted a Barbie-looking princess, which admittedly enough was the reason Aurora was my 2nd favorite princess growing up.

In a strange way, Cinderella's hair color has come full circle because blonde was especially popular in the 2000s which is around the time her hair became that canary yellow so it seems Cinderella always gets stuck with whatever hair color is most popular. I can't really think of any Disney heroine who I would characterize as a strawberry blonde. The heroines tend to either be full-fledged redheads or pure blondes. Here's some concept art of blonde Anna.
https://static3.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Anna-Elsa-Concept-Art-1-e1567262192377.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370&dpr=1.5
https://www.disneygeekery.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Photo-Jan-09-9-22-23-PM-560x394.png
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f3/29/da/f329da6e748bb3fd9c796caf7746dd1e.jpg
https://hapuriainen.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/anna.png

I'm glad you liked the test and I'm also glad you got your favorite! I'm not surprised you got Belle as your second choice because looking at the poll results, the wide majority of takers get Belle. I've noticed that's true for most Disney Princess polls out there with Belle usually being the most popular choice. I guess people seem to relate to her the most, usually brunettes or people who like to read.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 7:31 pm

I don't necessarily dislike Mulan's green dress but I've always been eh about it. It doesn't help that I prefer blue and pink over green in general anyway. At least it doesn't have much screentime. I hadn't realized it's darker in the movie than in clipart but it's true. It's also true that they probably thought Aurora would sell better in pink but that apparently wasn't enough Sad

I can't think of any strawberry blonde heroines either. Looking at those concept arts, I'm glad they didn't make Anna a blonde (same with Ariel and, if I'm not mistaken, Giselle). I think Elsa is prettier than Anna but I prefer red hair over blonde in general. Ariel and Merida have the best hair out of all the DPs imo.

I think I tend to relate to the older princesses more, which is ironic since I'm a boy and I wouldn't really call myself feminine. But I've always been a daydreamer and rather curious (I'm such a Ravenclaw lol). Perhaps it's the reason why I've always been drawn to characters like Aurora, Alice, etc. Yes, I know a lot of people relate to Belle in many ways. I myself have brown hair (though darker than Belle's, and I've recently dyed some blonde highlights) and I've been an avid reader since I was 3 years old.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 10:17 pm

I'm not a fan of green either which is why Mulan's green dress did nothing for me, not to mention the other colors and the design used make for a very boring design. I remember in the 2000s the top three promoted princesses were Cinderella, Aurora, and Belle so it surprises me that they promoted Aurora so much but she still sold the least.

You're right, Giselle was also intended as a blonde at first. I'm glad they switched her to a redhead. I also think Elsa is prettier than Anna but in general I prefer redheads and brunettes over blondes. I think my favorite princess hair would be Ariel, Aurora, and Pocahontas, followed by Jasmine. I do like Merida's hair and it suits her quite well but I've never cared for curly hair otherwise.

I relate to both the classic princesses and the 90s ones in different ways. Mainly Cinderella and Aurora from the classics and Ariel and Jasmine from the 90s princesses, but I have some attributes from Belle as well. Aurora is often labeled a Ravenclaw so that makes sense that you're one as well. I'm usually considered either a Gryffindor or a Slytherin. The funny thing about Belle is that I actually do have quite a bit in common with her, such as an avid love for reading, but she was never my main favorite.

Were songs from the Disney Princess albums, like the Tea Party or Christmas ones, ever translated into Spanish?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZDBmbITeoTO6jwuG_lEKJ4Vo2xHPSoVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJOArCNEbX0&list=PLCZn1jvjmUaJC2mOKAhw5DzPYvtOvzG3i
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 10:50 pm

I prefer mint or seafoam greens but I don't think there's any Disney heroines who wear those shades. I guess the green dress I like the most is Anna's but I'm not crazy about it either. Mulan's dress is cutesy at best (I've also always thought it was boring and plain)  and Tiana's looks straight up like a cabbage.

Pocahontas and Aurora would be 3rd and 4th respectively in my prettiest hair list. Jasmine would probably be around the 6/7 spots. The thing I like most about Merida's hair is the color. If it was any other color, I probably wouldn't care much for her curls; for instance, I'm completely indifferent to Moana's her (like with basically all about her).

I also relate to the Classics and Renaissances the most. From the Revivals, the one I have most in common with would be Rapunzel even if I lost interest in her. I have a lot in common with Belle but she always ranked around 4-6 in my list; I think there was a time when she ranked 3rd at most.

I don't know if those were translated, I'll look it up.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 31, 2021 7:33 pm

I also like mint or seafoam green, like the color you used for Wendy in your signature. I do like Anna's green dress though especially because it's super unique in the princess canon in terms of color and design. Mulan's is just very plain and drab. I agree with you about Tiana's.

I agree that Merida's hair being a fiery red-orange is part of what makes it stand out, besides the curls. I don't think it would work if her hair was blonde or brown. Like you, Moana's wavy hair does absolutely nothing for me.

I think Merida and Elsa are probably who I would relate to the most from the Revival princesses and maybe some attributes of Anna. But most of those Merida traits already exist in Ariel or Jasmine and I'm more closely matched to them than her. Belle for me also ranks about 5-6. I'm still not sure if I would put Belle or Pocahontas in my fifth slot.

I'm assuming those miscellaneous albums aren't translated but it would be interesting if they were. Have you ever listened to the English versions?
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2021 1:21 pm

OMG, totally forgot about this. I've barely been active on Fanpop as well. Anyway, I also do relate to Elsa, probably more than any of the four official Revival princesses. I don't necessarily mean that in a good way though, since she's a constant reminder of my anxiety and the way I isolate(d) myself. I do relate to Anna in the sense that she's probably the most romantic Revival girl, but she comes off as annoying and parodic, more so than Giselle. I guess the Revival princess I relate to the least is Tiana, probably one of the reasons why she's not at all a favorite of mine.

I hadn't listened to those miscellaneous albums prior to this.
Back to top Go down
Disney's Divinity

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 11:26 pm

I don't think I ever posted here. Considering I like almost all the other characters, I feel tiers may be something that might get how I feel about them across better.

Love
Tiana
Ariel

Very Strongly Like
Anna
Cinderella
Elsa
Pocahontas
Rapunzel

Okay
Mulan
Mirabel
Moana
Raya
Belle
Snow White

The Ones I Don't Like
Jasmine (I like her in the TV series and live-action remake though)
Aurora
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Disney Princess Line
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4