Disney Mania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Disney Princess Line

Go down 
+3
phalangeregina
jeangreyforever
Disney's Divinity
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
AuroraJasmine

AuroraJasmine

The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 28, 2021 9:39 am

Disney Dusty wrote:
Sleeping Beauty was actually not brunette in the original story. I just read both the Grimm's and Perrault's Sleeping Beauty's and neither mentions her hair color.

Yeah my mum said it wasn’t referenced but it was brown in the pictures of her childhood books.
On the Wikipedia page of Sleeping Beauty referencing the fairytale versions there’s a few illustrations of Sleeping Beauty and in most of them she is a brunette. Only two illustrations show her with blonde hair.
Back to top Go down
https://www.quotev.com/midnightfairy
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 28, 2021 10:58 pm

Disney Dusty wrote:
Sleeping Beauty was actually not brunette in the original story. I just read both the Grimm's and Perrault's Sleeping Beauty's and neither mentions her hair color.

Cinderella's dress is the best dress ever. Loved what you said, jeangrey! Also loved what you said about Ariel. I am in full agreement!
That's what confuses me because there's nothing about hair color in those texts but everyone says she was brunette in the original fairy tale. Maybe this is just a case where people are talking about illustrations like AuroraJasmine said.

I'm happy to hear that!!
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 28, 2021 11:09 pm

AuroraJasmine wrote:
jeangreyforever wrote:
SNOW WHITE
I've seen the same Snow White sequel on VHS. I liked it as its own thing even though the prince didn't have much screentime (although that's technically not true but I won't spoil it for anyone else) and I thought the villain was quite creepy. I liked Snow White with long hair though and the female dwarfs. I haven't seen it forever in a long time though but I remember the animation was very cheap.

CINDERELLA
I love pink but I'm glad Cinderella's ballgown is silver and a classic design. I don't think anything else could replace the majesty of that dress.

AURORA
That's funny that they thought Sleeping Beauty was brown-haired (perhaps they're mixing her up with Belle/Beauty). She actually does have brown hair in the original but I don't think it really gets referenced much. I know Aurora tends to be the least known of the original princesses but it's kinda sad how many people didn't know her. Tiana being obscure makes sense but poor Aurora.

ARIEL
I disagree that Ariel sold her voice and got legs for a man and even if that is the case, she has the right to do that. I wouldn't shame her for it because women are entitled to do what they want and I respect her agency in this situation. I love the TV show as well and wish it was released physically since I don't use Disney+ very often.

BELLE
Does Belle's voice actress really speak with a slight French accent? Her voice as Belle sounds the same to me as her regular voice. I know that they hired Paige O'Hara because her voice sounded more European sounding than Jodi Benson's voice as Ariel. I'm glad you don't mind Belle's voice anymore.

JASMINE
I can understand why you'd go to Disneyland Paris just to get the dolls because I've seen images of that purple dress Jasmine doll. I also remember the one with the gold spots on her pants. I had a wedding doll set of Aladdin and Jasmine that came from the parks I believe. They haven't had Jasmine in a purple dress in the parks for probably a decade now. I don't know about merchandise sections at the parks but the last few times I went to the parks, I noticed that most little girls were dressed up as Cinderella, Belle, Rapunzel, Elsa, Anna, or Sofia. There were several Snow Whites, Auroras, Jasmines, and Meridas though. I think a few girls were also Pocahontas. Strangely, I saw no girls as Ariel.

POCAHONTAS
Do you remember what live-action Pocahontas movie this was? I'm wondering if it's The New World which was released in 2005. That's too bad you find the Disney movie boring now.

Sorry I don't watch Winx so I can't quite comment on the dresses you mentioned.

RAPUNZEL
I agree with your mom's thoughts on Rapunzel in the first half. Her popularity still annoys me and I'm not really a fan of the modern princesses either.

MERIDA
It probably doesn't feel like a Disney movie since it was a Pixar one. I actually think Anastasia feels more Disney than Brave does. I still like the movie though but Merida doesn't seem to be very popular anymore, not like the Frozen girls and Moana.

Snow White
I agree. When I watched the other Snow White sequel, I liked her long hair and female dwarves too. I still do.

Cinderella
Over the years I had a like and dislike phase about Cinderella’s Ballgown. I appreciate and respect it now, it is majestic. I’m just still not sure about her sticking up shoulder like straps. But back then I didn’t like the poofy skirts or the colour. I’m don’t like pale shades of colour unless it’s purple (but it has to be more purple than grey). I do like silver and white but if the lighting changes and makes the silver look darker, I don’t like it. Grey/dark silver is one of my least favourite colours and shades.

Aurora
I forgot to add this little bit. “No, Sleeping Beauty has brown hair, like Belle.” As for my friends, they hadn’t seen the movie of Disney’s Sleeping Beauty. Only one of them commented about her original brown hair.

Ariel
When I was younger I liked Ariel and didn’t analyse anything. I just enjoyed it for what it was. I thought the same thing as a teenager and until a certain age as a young adult when I joined Fanpop later on and learnt how to analyse characters. I had already learnt how to form an opinion about what princesses I liked and didn’t like as soon as I I hit my teenage years. Before the rewatch I had read countless reviews from other fanpoppers, adults who had grown up with it, parents and feminists. And I thought the opposite to them. But then when I became about ten years older in 2014 and with having an open mind especially on other peoples opinions - I suddenly saw exactly what they had seen in Ariel. But that was two years ago, my opinions keep changing they’re not set in stone.

Belle

I did some research whilst writing the article. I thought I had read it somewhere.

Pocahontas

Yep, it was the one that came out in 2005. I still like the visual beauty of Pocahontas’ natural world with the sunsets, waterfalls and rainbows. I’ve always loved the colour palette and still really enjoy the “Colours of the Wind” sequences and I love Pocahontas and Grandmother Willow in songs on the soundtrack.
SNOW WHITE
Glad we agree on the long hair and female dwarfs!

CINDERELLA
I'm not a purple fan myself. I like silver and white and I'm fine with grey as well but I don't think Cinderella's dress looks as great when it's colored grey instead of white or a very pale grey/silver.

AURORA
Aww, that's so sad that most of your friends haven't seen Sleeping Beauty.

ARIEL
I think it's good to have views that are not set in stone because that means you can adapt and are willing to learn from others, since there are some who steadfastly refuse to accept anyone's POV accept their own.

BELLE
It's probably true then. If you ever come across that fact again, please share it here!

POCAHONTAS
The funny thing is every time I start to watch that 2005 movie, I get bored and never finish it. I need to try again one of these days. Pocahontas is one of the most visually gorgeous Disney movies imo especially the colors like you said. Lots of pinks, oranges, blues, and purples.
Back to top Go down
AuroraJasmine

AuroraJasmine

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 10:19 am

jeangreyforever wrote:
Disney Dusty wrote:

Cinderella's dress is the best dress ever. Loved what you said, jeangrey! Also loved what you said about Ariel. I am in full agreement!
That's what confuses me because there's nothing about hair color in those texts but everyone says she was brunette in the original fairy tale. Maybe this is just a case where people are talking about illustrations like AuroraJasmine said.

I'm happy to hear that!!

I can’t share this until tomorrow but I found a website that shows illustrations of Sleeping Beauty by top illustrators who have been dead for at least 70 years or more.
Back to top Go down
AuroraJasmine

AuroraJasmine

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 11:19 am

jeangreyforever wrote:
BELLE
It's probably true then. If you ever come across that fact again, please share it here!

You know what? I think what I read was an opinion on Fanpop and I accidentally took it seriously as fact.
Because the only official information I could find was Paige O’Hara suggested Belle have a French accent, but they wanted her just as she was.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 4:48 pm

AuroraJasmine wrote:
jeangreyforever wrote:
Disney Dusty wrote:

I'm happy to hear that!!

I can’t share this until tomorrow but I found a website that shows illustrations of Sleeping Beauty by top illustrators who have been dead for at least 70 years or more.
Oh that sounds exciting!

AuroraJasmine wrote:
jeangreyforever wrote:
BELLE

You know what? I think what I read was an opinion on Fanpop and I accidentally took it seriously as fact.
Because the only official information I could find was Paige O’Hara suggested Belle have a French accent, but they wanted her just as she was.
Oh yes, that could be it.
Back to top Go down
AuroraJasmine

AuroraJasmine

PostSubject: Right let’s see if this works.   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 8:37 am

Finally I can share links! Enjoy!

Top Illustrations for Sleeping Beauty by Various Artists

I’m not 100% sure if you’ll be able to access this second one because it to goes to Pinterest UK. But maybe you could search for the user name: c0urtneylee and then find her Pin Collection folder called Sleeping Beauty Illustrations?

More Sleeping Beauty Illustrations on Pinterest

Move over Aurora, your time has past! Belle will be our new Sleeping Beauty!

Vintage Ladybird book cover of Sleeping Beauty
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 30, 2021 7:21 pm

I was able to access the second link, even without being in the UK.

I've seen a lot of the paintings featured in the first link but there are a lot of I was not familiar with before. I also liked that they included Brunhilde because she was the original German "sleeping princess."

The second link also features a lot of storybook art I've seen before but some I haven't.

I used to own that Ladybird Sleeping Beauty book actually. It was a nice nostalgia trip to see the art again.

Thank you for all these links!
Back to top Go down
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 9:52 am

So many interpretations over the years- very, very cool! Lol, on the Pinterest link while scrolling down, I saw the fish for Alaska's Sleeping Beauty without seeing the princess (or the dog in her lap) and I was thinking, well, a fish princess is a very different take. :p They have a mouse version- super cute! That pop-up book is super neat. Did you guys see the "Super Strong Princess Coloring Book?" (More images here: https://www.google.com/search?q=super+strong+princess+coloring+book&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS886US887&sxsrf=ALeKk01stXbDOJ8n0SKvuBPks7RjuuAbaw:1617454161079&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZoNiljuLvAhXkRzABHaxkAiIQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1536&bih=722)

Thanks for sharing those!
Back to top Go down
https://animationresearchavenue.blogspot.com/
AuroraJasmine

AuroraJasmine

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 pm

blackcauldron85 wrote:
So many interpretations over the years- very, very cool!  Lol, on the Pinterest link while scrolling down, I saw the fish for Alaska's Sleeping Beauty without seeing the princess (or the dog in her lap) and I was thinking, well, a fish princess is a very different take. :p  They have a mouse version- super cute!  That pop-up book is super neat.  Did you guys see the "Super Strong Princess Coloring Book?"  (More images here: https://www.google.com/search?q=super+strong+princess+coloring+book&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS886US887&sxsrf=ALeKk01stXbDOJ8n0SKvuBPks7RjuuAbaw:1617454161079&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjZoNiljuLvAhXkRzABHaxkAiIQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1536&bih=722)

Thanks for sharing those!

Haven't seen a colouring book like that before. I think the Snow White ones are great. I take it Jazz is supposed be Jasmine's daughter?
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 05, 2021 5:11 pm

I've seen the one with Pocahontas and Esmeralda before. Didn't realize there was a line of these illustrations though, let alone available in a coloring book. Neat find!
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyFri May 14, 2021 1:47 pm

I was looking at some old files in my laptop and I found my Disney Princess top from 2014... It goes like this:

1 - Aurora
2 - Cinderella
3 - Jasmine
4 - Belle
5 - Ariel
6 - Mulan
7 - Anna (since back then the Frozen sisters were expected to become official princesses)
8 - Rapunzel
9 - Snow White
10 - Elsa
11 - Pocahontas
12 - Tiana
13 - Merida

And here's my current list (including Moana, who wasn't out at the time):

1 - Aurora
2 - Ariel
3 - Cinderella
4 - Jasmine
5 - Mulan
6 - Belle
7 - Snow White
8 - Pocahontas
9 - Merida
(Anna)
10 - Rapunzel
(Elsa)
11 - Tiana
12 - Moana

The places from 2 to 6 are just in a different order, although there was a time when Jasmine was rather low on my list (and I don't know how, she was one of my childhood faves as you see); at that time Rapunzel was my 3rd one, but she's fallen far from that placement. From my current list, I like all of them except my bottom 2 (and Elsa), although I've lost some of my love for Rapunzel (Merida and Anna being the Revivals I like the most but that isn't saying much; though Merida, as you see, has grown on me). What do you think?
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyMon May 17, 2021 5:33 pm

I really like your lists! They're both very similar to mine, especially your current one except that Mulan ranks rather low for me. Other than that, most of my slots are around the same as yours. Nice to see someone else who appreciates the classics and isn't all that impressed with the new princesses.

I do think it's interesting that Rapunzel was at one point at your top three but now she's right towards the end and the last princess you like. Tbh, I've never liked Rapunzel and have always found her to be very generic and derivative. I think Moana suffers from that a bit as well but I think she gets more flack for it when Rapunzel was just as bad as her if not worse, which is why I rank Moana slightly higher. I don't particularly care much for Moana either though and my bottom three I really can't stand.

Merida has also increased in my rankings, probably because she reminds me a lot of Ariel and Jasmine. I used to like Anna a lot more but Frozen II really put me off her so Elsa ranks higher than her and I'm lukewarm on Anna now. I don't dislike Anna but I don't have the love for her I used to have. As for Mulan, I used to like her a lot more but I find her movie and character to both be highly overrated so I don't really care much for her now either.

1. Ariel
2. Jasmine
3. Aurora
4. Cinderella
5. Pocahontas
6. Belle
7. Snow White
(Elsa)
8. Merida
(Anna)
9. Mulan
10. Moana
11. Rapunzel
12. Tiana

As for unofficial princesses, Anastasia would go between Jasmine and Aurora. Esmeralda would go either directly before or after Snow White.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyMon May 17, 2021 9:55 pm

I didn't answer earlier because Wi-Fi isn't working well here, but I actually agree with most of your comments here! I think the main reason why I still like Rapunzel is that I watched Tangled a lot when I was younger, and the fact that I can relate to her in quite some ways (I'm very artsy, feel trapped at home and my mother can behave very similarly to Gothel - awful comparison, I know). But I've grown a bit tired of Tangled, probably after I portrayed Flynn in not one but two drama plays (one of them was a poorly done thing at school, but the other one was in my English class and actually required some hard work). I had to watch Tangled way too many times in only a few months.

Merida also reminds me of Ariel and Jasmine. I haven't watched Frozen II (I know my brother did, though) so I don't have an opinion on that, but in the first movie I prefer Anna; although I still find her a bit annoying, I like her romantic personality and how she has more flaws than Rapunzel. There was a time when I actually liked Elsa but that has changed drastically. And I actually admit that Mulan is a bit overrated, though not as much as others, but for being one of the less popular princesses yeah (but it's mostly by the fans, not by Disney themselves). I still love her though.

As for the unofficial princesses, for me Alice would be right after Aurora and Ariel. Jane would be after Jasmine. Esmeralda, Wendy and Giselle would be around the Belle/Snow White/Pocahontas spots. Megara would be around the same place as Merida. I actually don't remember much of Anastasia; I wasn't a huge fan when I was a child but, since I haven't watched it in ages, that might well change. I need to rewatch that movie...
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyMon May 17, 2021 11:52 pm

That's all right, no need to apologize. I'm sorry for missing your initial post though. I had a busy weekend so I didn't get the chance to login and see your post until today.

I'm sorry to hear that you relate to Rapunzel because of her home life. I had a good friend on Fanpop who was also a Rapunzel fan because she had a similar upbringing and felt Gothel was one of the most realistically portrayed Disney villains. My own issues with Rapunzel are the fact that I think she feels more like a modern-day teenage girl than a fairy tale princess. I think Disney has done a better job depicting abuse victims before like Snow White, Cinderella, and Quasimodo whereas Rapunzel comes across as too balanced and well-adjusted for my taste. That's really cool though that you got the chance to play Flynn multiple times! I wish my school had let us do stuff like that. What are your thoughts on Flynn?

I used to like both Elsa and Anna but after some time I lost interest in Elsa. I feel her fandom overhyped her and I got sick of hearing everyone call her the best princess (or queen and how that automatically made her better than all the other princesses), not to mention the amount of times I listened to Let it Go playing everywhere. Frozen II just did a really poor job with Anna and made her come across as obsessive and clingy, like if Elsa was out of her sight for even one second she'd die. Mulan isn't a very popular character when it comes to merchandise but online, especially in places like Tumblr, she's always treated like the best character ever and used to diss the other princesses. Even Merida and Elsa (who got similar treatment at one point or another) have received heavy criticism but I've never heard that for Mulan.

For the other non-princess girls, I adore Alice and Wendy. I prefer Alice in Wonderland as a film but I like Wendy more. Wendy probably would be between Aurora and Cinderella for me. I think Alice might be around where I've ranked Pocahontas and Belle. Jane would be after Snow White and Esmeralda. I'm not sure about Giselle, because while I do like her, she's not very unique of a character and basically just an amalgamation of the classic princesses so it's hard for me to have an opinion on her as an individual. I'd also put Megara around where Merida is. I would recommend rewatching Anastasia, I have a lot of friends who watched it again recently since their childhoods and they liked it a lot more. Tangled also has a lot of parallels to it which you might appreciate.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyWed May 19, 2021 10:01 am

Yeah, my home life isn't nearly as bad as Rapunzel's and my mother isn't as bad as Gothel's, but I still feel kinda trapped (and the fact that my father is basically like Triton doesn't help). I also think Gothel is a very realistic example of that but I also think that Rapunzel is too well-adjusted considering her upbringing. As for Flynn, he used to be in my top 3 princes but like with Rapunzel, I've lost some of my love for him. And his Flynn persona is rather similar to my least favorite prince (Naveen) although not as bad, but I still like him as Eugene. He'd be around the middle of my princes' list I think.

Yes, Let It Go was played everywhere and my brother was obsessed with it lol. I also had to sing that song for my English class in 2014, when it was at its peak (the Tangled play was in 2019), but even then I wasn't a fan (although I liked Elsa at that point). And yeah I can see what you say about Mulan; although I have seen some dissing for her, I've never seen her getting outright hate like other princesses get.

And yeah, I'll give Anastasia a try once I'm done with my school work in the next few weeks!
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyWed May 19, 2021 8:49 pm

I'm glad to hear you don't have it as bad as Rapunzel (although that is a low bar). I think a lot of Disney fans in general often feel trapped or bored in their lives, which is part of the appeal of Disney especially most of the Disney Princesses. I don't know if you are friendly with Wavesurf from Fanpop but she's also talked about having a parental figure similar to Triton so you're definitely not alone in that. With Gothel, I was always confused on whether Disney wanted to make her a villain or an actual loving mother. Maybe they left that ambiguous on purpose. Naveen and Flynn are my two least favorite princes for the reasons you said and it's why I've never been able to warm up to Flynn.

In my high school they were also playing the Frozen songs all the time. Usually Let it Go or Do You Want To Build a Snowman. I actually got more tired of the latter song for some reason lol, even though Let it Go was played more. I know some Disney fans who were part of the fandom in the late 90s/early 2000s and they commented on how they had a lot of resentment towards Belle because Belle was constantly overpraised compared to the other princesses. That trend started again with Merida and Elsa. However, a lot of fans don't realize that actually Mulan's fans have similarly been dissing the other princesses in her favor since the late 90s, and unlike Belle, Merida, or Elsa (all of whom get some flack now or are no longer considered to be as revolutionary as they once were), there was never a decline in Mulan's fandom. Decades later, they still think she is the best "princess" and how lame the other girls are for marrying instead of saving a country. Decades of hearing this nonsense has turned me off of her.

Let us know what you think of Anastasia when you get around to watching it! Good luck with your school work and final exams if you have those!
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyWed May 19, 2021 11:38 pm

Yes, I'm friendly with Wavesurf and I know what she said about her family... And yes, I've always thought the same about Gothel. I don't really have a proper Disney prince list but I think Flynn would be higher than at least John Smith, the Prince and Naveen.

I was also sick of Do You Want To Build a Snowman lol. In fact, the only song I liked from Frozen was For the First Time in Forever and even then I also found it a bit annoying sometimes. My brother loves them though (it's his favorite Disney movie, Elsa is his favorite heroine, etc). I can definitely see what you say about Belle, Merida and Elsa, since there's quite some of that resentment in Fanpop (and I have to say I agree on Elsa mostly; on the other hand, I love Belle and I think Merida is overhated). And what you say about Mulan's fandom makes sense as well.

Also, thank you very much!
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyThu May 20, 2021 3:58 am

It's always interesting how many of us Disney fans come from different countries and backgrounds but can share similar family dynamics. John Smith is a bit boring at times, but I still like him better than most. Florian lacks screentime but I can tell he's quite sweet and romantic which is a plus for me. Naveen and Flynn would be my bottom two princes. Kristoff is frankly just above them.

I like most of the Frozen songs except for Fixer-Upper which I despise. However, Do You Want To Build a Snowman is a song I never cared that much for compared to the rest of the soundtrack. I think For the First Time in Forever sounds the most like a classic Disney song (even if I think some of the lyrics are a bit inappropriate for a princess). That's great that your brother loves Frozen and Elsa the most! There is a lot of backlash towards Belle and Elsa on Fanpop. I feel like people don't hate Merida as much there anymore and are slightly warming up to her, even if she still isn't a major favorite.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyFri May 21, 2021 11:51 am

John Smith and the Prince are both ok for me, but a bit uninteresing (especially Snow's prince, who, unlike Charming, wasn't lucky to have a sequel that could have developed him more). Flynn is just higher than those because he was a childhood favorite, but like his princess, I don't find him that great anymore. Kristoff would be just above Naveen for me.

Fixer-Upper is also the worst song from Frozen for me. And yes, my brother loves Frozen lol, he's loved it ever since it came out. He actually has an account in Fanpop (MuffinUwU) but he rarely uses it. His top 5 princesses are Elsa, Anna, Mulan, Rapunzel and Belle... I don't have much in common with him when it comes to our opinions on Disney lol. He's not a fan of Aurora and is indifferent to Ariel. The only thing I think we both agree on is that neither of us like Moana. And yes, I also think people are somewhat warming up to Merida in Fanpop.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyFri May 21, 2021 5:14 pm

Yes, John Smith suffers from being a bit boring, and a lot of people say he sucks the life out of Pocahontas because she's more interesting before she meets him. While Cinderella's prince does get developed in the sequel, he never left much of an impression on me in that movie. I actually think the first movie does a good job of showing his life and personality even without showing much of him because of the role his father the King has. And the King's whole issue is that he feels his son has distanced himself from him, which is why he's desperate to fill that void with grandchildren. And we see all the portraits of the prince in the king's first scene which chronicle the prince's life and how gradually he became older and less close with his father. So even though everything we learn about him comes from other characters like the king and Grand Duke, it works for me.

Even as a Frozen fan, I just think Kristoff wasn't well done. He's okay in the first movie but I dislike him especially in the sequel. You can tell that Anna and Kristoff's relationship was an afterthought in Frozen II. Anna is obsessed with Elsa and Kristoff is obsessed with Anna so you have both of these major characters only existing now for the sake of another character, much to their detriment since they have no individual plotlines of their own.

Oh I actually remember seeing MuffinUwU post from time to time on Fanpop. Had no idea he was your brother! I quite liked seeing his comments. Lol, I can tell his top five is mostly different from yours. He seems to lean towards the newer princesses or at least the ones who are typically called the most feminist. I've noticed on Fanpop, nobody seems to care about Moana at all so that opinion you both share (which I also share) fits right in.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptySat May 22, 2021 12:08 am

I actually agree on what you said about Charming; we get to know quite some things about him in the first movie, so that's also one of the reasons why he's higher than Snow White's prince in my list. As a kid I imagined his situation would be very similar to Jasmine's because of the way their respective fathers wanted them to get married soon, and both of them wanted to marry for love rather than for convenience, so I kinda liked him as Jasmine was (and is) a favorite of mine.

In the first movie I found Kristoff to be rather uninteresting, and also everything that concerned him. I didn't care for his relationship with Anna or with the trolls. In fact, the main thing I remembered about him was how... anti-hygienic he seemed to be, but even taking that out of the equation, he just never interested me. Since I haven't watched the sequel I don't have an opinion on that.

And yes, MuffinUwu is my younger brother lol. He indeed prefers the newer princesses (understandable, since he is almost 4 years younger than me), but he didn't like Moana and doesn't think highly about Raya either. Apart from his top 5, he actually likes Snow White and Cinderella. There was a time when he loved Merida and Pocahontas but for some reason he's lost some interest in them. He's indifferent to Ariel, Jasmine and Tiana. He's not a fan of Aurora but I think it's probably just because he wants to tease me lol.

The only users on Fanpop who love Moana that come to my mind are KataraLover and EmaSomolanyiova. Most other people are indifferent at best.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptySun May 23, 2021 5:44 am

What's interesting is that usually Cinderella's prince tends to get ranked lower than Snow White's prince. And I never thought about connecting him with Jasmine, but yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense.

I have the same exact issues with Kristoff. He's just too gross! Almost every off-color joke in Frozen is about him or said by him and I don't think that brand of humor is very appropriate for a family-friendly Disney movie. I don't remember his lack of hygiene being addressed in the sequel, which is an improvement at least. The relationship with the trolls was also a borefest.

It definitely makes sense that your brother prefers the princesses he grew up with. I guess Moana and Raya are either not princessy enough for him or he doesn't have a genuine childhood connection with them. That's nice though that he does like Snow White and Cinderella, and if he likes them, that probably means he would like Aurora as well if not for the fact that she's your favorite. I wonder what made him lose interest in Pocahontas and Merida, especially since he likely grew up with Merida.

And KataraLover isn't active anymore so that just leaves Ema as the sole Moana fan. I noticed even when Moana came out, there was no fanfare about her like with Frozen. However, people still watched her film and talked about it, even if they didn't love it, but with Raya, practically nobody watched it or showed any interest in it whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptySun May 23, 2021 6:43 pm

Aurora's not the only one who gets left out; Aurora is on this potholder/towel set but not Snow White (I mean, Pocahontas, Rapunzel, & Moana are also missing.):

https://www.boxlunch.com/product/disney-princess-castle-kitchen-set---boxlunch-exclusive/15003446.html
Back to top Go down
https://animationresearchavenue.blogspot.com/
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 EmptyMon May 24, 2021 12:09 am

jeangreyforever wrote:
What's interesting is that usually Cinderella's prince tends to get ranked lower than Snow White's prince. And I never thought about connecting him with Jasmine, but yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense.

I have the same exact issues with Kristoff. He's just too gross! Almost every off-color joke in Frozen is about him or said by him and I don't think that brand of humor is very appropriate for a family-friendly Disney movie. I don't remember his lack of hygiene being addressed in the sequel, which is an improvement at least. The relationship with the trolls was also a borefest.

It definitely makes sense that your brother prefers the princesses he grew up with. I guess Moana and Raya are either not princessy enough for him or he doesn't have a genuine childhood connection with them. That's nice though that he does like Snow White and Cinderella, and if he likes them, that probably means he would like Aurora as well if not for the fact that she's your favorite. I wonder what made him lose interest in Pocahontas and Merida, especially since he likely grew up with Merida.

And KataraLover isn't active anymore so that just leaves Ema as the sole Moana fan. I noticed even when Moana came out, there was no fanfare about her like with Frozen. However, people still watched her film and talked about it, even if they didn't love it, but with Raya, practically nobody watched it or showed any interest in it whatsoever.

That's most likely the only reason why my brother doesn't like Aurora, yep. I think the issue with Raya was that she came out during a time when he wasn't very interested in Disney's new works anymore, although that doesn't really apply to Moana, whom he just finds uninteresting. And he indeed grew up with Merida and Pocahontas so I really don't know. He still prefers them over several princesses though.

I totally forgot the last time I saw KataraLover on Fanpop, which I guess must have been some months ago... So yeah, that leaves Ema, and not even she liked Raya lol. In fact, I think she was the only one (along with maybe PrueFever iirc) who talked about watching the movie and she didn't like Raya because she felt she was a Mary-Sue with trust issues and martial skills.

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Aurora's not the only one who gets left out; Aurora is on this potholder/towel set but not Snow White (I mean, Pocahontas, Rapunzel, & Moana are also missing.):

https://www.boxlunch.com/product/disney-princess-castle-kitchen-set---boxlunch-exclusive/15003446.html

I think the difference is that this leaves out four princesses and features eight, which is really not the same as excluding only one while featuring all the others...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Disney Princess Line
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next