Disney Mania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Disney Princess Line

Go down 
+3
phalangeregina
jeangreyforever
Disney's Divinity
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyMon May 24, 2021 3:39 am

WhiteLagoon wrote:
jeangreyforever wrote:
What's interesting is that usually Cinderella's prince tends to get ranked lower than Snow White's prince. And I never thought about connecting him with Jasmine, but yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense.

I have the same exact issues with Kristoff. He's just too gross! Almost every off-color joke in Frozen is about him or said by him and I don't think that brand of humor is very appropriate for a family-friendly Disney movie. I don't remember his lack of hygiene being addressed in the sequel, which is an improvement at least. The relationship with the trolls was also a borefest.

It definitely makes sense that your brother prefers the princesses he grew up with. I guess Moana and Raya are either not princessy enough for him or he doesn't have a genuine childhood connection with them. That's nice though that he does like Snow White and Cinderella, and if he likes them, that probably means he would like Aurora as well if not for the fact that she's your favorite. I wonder what made him lose interest in Pocahontas and Merida, especially since he likely grew up with Merida.

And KataraLover isn't active anymore so that just leaves Ema as the sole Moana fan. I noticed even when Moana came out, there was no fanfare about her like with Frozen. However, people still watched her film and talked about it, even if they didn't love it, but with Raya, practically nobody watched it or showed any interest in it whatsoever.

That's most likely the only reason why my brother doesn't like Aurora, yep. I think the issue with Raya was that she came out during a time when he wasn't very interested in Disney's new works anymore, although that doesn't really apply to Moana, whom he just finds uninteresting. And he indeed grew up with Merida and Pocahontas so I really don't know. He still prefers them over several princesses though.

I totally forgot the last time I saw KataraLover on Fanpop, which I guess must have been some months ago... So yeah, that leaves Ema, and not even she liked Raya lol. In fact, I think she was the only one (along with maybe PrueFever iirc) who talked about watching the movie and she didn't like Raya because she felt she was a Mary-Sue with trust issues and martial skills.

Maybe one day he'll grow to like Aurora again. I haven't had much interest in Disney's latest films the past decade or so either so I think that's also affected my disinterest in new movies like Raya. I usually never miss a new Disney release but this one I'll wait until it's free in another week or so on Disney+. I do think Moana didn't resonate with a lot of Disney fans, like the Fanpop community, and it must be because none of us felt she brought anything new.

Lol, yeah the very few people who did watch Raya were not impressed which only lessened my desire to catch it. I remember many users were calling Raya a Mary Sue even before the movie came out, so I guess it's not that surprising.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyTue May 25, 2021 11:26 pm

Yeah, I haven't been very interested in Disney's new works lately either. I can't say I love anything they've done since 2009 (I still sorta like Tangled but I don't love it anymore). I think I might like Big Hero 6 because of what I've heard about it but I've never watched that one and it really isn't in my to-watch list. And yes, those thoughts from people on Fanpop didn't really make me feel excited for Raya lol.

By the way, I'll leave these videos here if anyone is interested. A few years ago, a Mexican a-capella group made these medleys featuring the original Latin Spanish singing voices of the Disney Princesses. I think it's great how they managed to find these actresses after so many years (particularly the ones from the Renaissance era). It really feels like a trip to my childhood to me, as these were the versions I grew up with (with a few obvious exceptions) and I still like most of them. Curious to see what you think about them!

Medley one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8MpvbLTY-Q. With the voices of Giselle, Pocahontas, Jasmine/Mulan (like in English, they had the same singing voice), Elsa and Megara.
Medley two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGwsXZUB4Wo. With the voices of Belle, Esmeralda, Tiana, Moana, Jessie (Toy Story franchise) and Ariel.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyWed May 26, 2021 2:24 am

I haven't really liked any Disney movie since Enchanted, besides Frozen, so 2007 is my cut-off date. That's not including Pixar releases but even with Pixar, I really only like the sequels they've made to their major franchises and the only original movies I've really enjoyed from around that time are Ratatouille and WALL-E. I've seen Big Hero 6 and it's an okay movie but not all that amazing and I haven't had much interest to rewatch it ever since. It was popular when it came out but nobody ever talks about it anymore.

Wow, I think it's really cool that the a-capella group was able to get all the original Spanish voice actresses to come back and do these medley videos. I know they're super popular online but these have to be some of the best I've seen so far because of the quality of talent. I have a lot of non-English speaking Disney friends who are very invested in the dubs they grew up with so I can understand that these voices represent your childhood.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptySat May 29, 2021 4:09 pm

I've been too busy with homework and exams during these days to answer earlier (although I posted a few polls on Fanpop). Hopefully I'll be done by Tuesday.

Anyway, it's indeed wonderful that they got those voice actresses to reprise their characters' songs. I wonder if we're ever going to get a third video; Rapunzel's voice actress is quite famous and acted in a Spanish Netflix show called Elite (although, I really disliked her character there; maybe part of the reason why I lost some of my love for Rapunzel, her voice and mannerisms are too recognizable lol). Yuridia, who provided Merida's off screen singing voice, is also well known there. Anna was dubbed by the same woman who dubbed Giselle. Snow White, Cinderella and Aurora's original Spanish voice actresses passed away, but between 1997 and 2001 those movies were redubbed because of legal issues with those actresses; I know Cinderella's new voice actress (Natalia Sosa) is quite popular in Mexico. I can't remember if Aurora's new singing voice was the same as her speaking one, Laura Ayala, but I know she's done a lot of dubbing for series like Once Upon a Time and Grey's Anatomy. Snow White's singing voice is completely unknown, iirc.

And yes, I love or at least like most of the voices I grew up with! Although there are some that I don't fancy a lot and I feel are overrated, like Rapunzel or the first Spanish dubs of Cinderella and Aurora. I much prefer the newer dub of Cinderella; her voice sounds very beautiful, soft, classic and fitting for the character, and it's my favorite Latin Spanish DP voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j2jSJFqzKc

I generally tend to listen to the songs in different languages; I think my overall favorite would be French. I absolutely love French Aurora but most of their dubs are awesome!
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptySun May 30, 2021 3:04 am

That's all right, I was also busy this last week so it worked out well because I wouldn't have been able to respond even if you had. Good luck with your homework and exams again though and don't worry about responding until after you're done!

I've heard about Elite on Netflix but I've never seen it myself. Rapunzel's VA must be famous indeed then. I can also understand why you might dislike a character if their VA played a character you disliked before. It's the opposite for me actually because I really like Mandy Moore but even then, I can't get myself to like her Rapunzel. It's always interesting when the same actress dubs multiple Disney characters like how your Anna also played Giselle. I remember hearing that The Little Mermaid got a new dub in Spanish, also for legal reasons, and it really ticked off the people who grew up with the original dub. It also makes sense that Snow White's singing voice would be completely unknown since I imagine she's a harder character to find a voice for considering how distinctive it is, especially her singing.

The video you linked to wouldn't work for me since it's not in my region but I found this video which I think might have the same dub you're talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvOshB24Kxw She really does have a beautiful voice if that's the same one so I can see why that's your favorite Spanish DP voice.

I like to sometimes listen to the DP songs in the languages from their countries of origin. So German Snow White, Arabic Jasmine, French Cinderella, etc. And I've heard French Aurora and I think her voice is so gorgeous as well!
Back to top Go down
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptySun May 30, 2021 8:42 am

WhiteLagoon wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:
Aurora's not the only one who gets left out; Aurora is on this potholder/towel set but not Snow White (I mean, Pocahontas, Rapunzel, & Moana are also missing.):

https://www.boxlunch.com/product/disney-princess-castle-kitchen-set---boxlunch-exclusive/15003446.html

I think the difference is that this leaves out four princesses and features eight, which is really not the same as excluding only one while featuring all the others...

That is a very good point!

jeangreyforever wrote:
Lol, yeah the very few people who did watch Raya were not impressed which only lessened my desire to catch it. I remember many users were calling Raya a Mary Sue even before the movie came out, so I guess it's not that surprising.

For what it's worth, I LOVED Raya. I tend to really like the more adventure stories (like Atlantis, Treasure Planet), so this felt, different, but in that vein. And it's a beautiful-looking film.
Back to top Go down
https://animationresearchavenue.blogspot.com/
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 05, 2021 9:56 pm

jeangreyforever wrote:
That's all right, I was also busy this last week so it worked out well because I wouldn't have been able to respond even if you had. Good luck with your homework and exams again though and don't worry about responding until after you're done!

I've heard about Elite on Netflix but I've never seen it myself. Rapunzel's VA must be famous indeed then. I can also understand why you might dislike a character if their VA played a character you disliked before. It's the opposite for me actually because I really like Mandy Moore but even then, I can't get myself to like her Rapunzel. It's always interesting when the same actress dubs multiple Disney characters like how your Anna also played Giselle. I remember hearing that The Little Mermaid got a new dub in Spanish, also for legal reasons, and it really ticked off the people who grew up with the original dub. It also makes sense that Snow White's singing voice would be completely unknown since I imagine she's a harder character to find a voice for considering how distinctive it is, especially her singing.

The video you linked to wouldn't work for me since it's not in my region but I found this video which I think might have the same dub you're talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvOshB24Kxw She really does have a beautiful voice if that's the same one so I can see why that's your favorite Spanish DP voice.

I like to sometimes listen to the DP songs in the languages from their countries of origin. So German Snow White, Arabic Jasmine, French Cinderella, etc. And I've heard French Aurora and I think her voice is so gorgeous as well!

Yes, here we had quite a few cases where an actress dubbed two or more characters: Jasmine and Mulan (like in English), Alice and Wendy (again like in English), Giselle and Anna, and the 60's dubs of Aurora and Snow White (both of which were thankfully redubbed - I don't like that singer's voice at all, she was in her 40s at the time and it shows, and I think she's highly overrated). There were 4 Spanish Snow Whites: the 1938 one, the 1964 one (already expressed my feelings about her), and the two 2001 ones (from Mexico and Spain). What you said about Snow White is very true, since out of the 4 only the 2nd one was well-known and only because of her Aurora and her opera work. And yes, The Little Mermaid was redubbed in Spain. I grew up watching both dubs, and I think both had their pros and cons. For instance, I much prefer the original Spanish Ariel (the one from the medley) but I think the newer Castilian Ursula is way better. I always hated the original Spanish Ursula because the lyrics' flow was awful and I never liked the singer's voice (one of my least favorite Ursulas to date).

That's indeed the Cinderella dub I was talking about! So glad you liked her voice <3 She's my favorite Cinderella but the English, Dutch, Russian and Arabic versions come close for me.

blackcauldron85 wrote:
For what it's worth, I LOVED Raya. I tend to really like the more adventure stories (like Atlantis, Treasure Planet), so this felt, different, but in that vein. And it's a beautiful-looking film.

I quite like Treasure Planet but Raya just doesn't seem my cup of tea...
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2021 3:37 am

WhiteLagoon wrote:
jeangreyforever wrote:

Yes, here we had quite a few cases where an actress dubbed two or more characters: Jasmine and Mulan (like in English), Alice and Wendy (again like in English), Giselle and Anna, and the 60's dubs of Aurora and Snow White (both of which were thankfully redubbed - I don't like that singer's voice at all, she was in her 40s at the time and it shows, and I think she's highly overrated). There were 4 Spanish Snow Whites: the 1938 one, the 1964 one (already expressed my feelings about her), and the two 2001 ones (from Mexico and Spain). What you said about Snow White is very true, since out of the 4 only the 2nd one was well-known and only because of her Aurora and her opera work. And yes, The Little Mermaid was redubbed in Spain. I grew up watching both dubs, and I think both had their pros and cons. For instance, I much prefer the original Spanish Ariel (the one from the medley) but I think the newer Castilian Ursula is way better. I always hated the original Spanish Ursula because the lyrics' flow was awful and I never liked the singer's voice (one of my least favorite Ursulas to date).

That's indeed the Cinderella dub I was talking about! So glad you liked her voice <3 She's my favorite Cinderella but the English, Dutch, Russian and Arabic versions come close for me.

Hey, sorry for the late response. There isn't much activity on this forum so I kinda forgot about it.

It's funny how many of the voice actresses were reused like in the US. That's also neat that there were four Snow Whites, I remember reading about how as far back as the original movie's release, Walt Disney was having the movie dubbed for international audiences. I never realized movies as old as Snow White were also dubbed before that. It's a shame for dubs you can't pick and choose which voices you like to make a definitive version, like the original Ariel and the new Ursula.

I'll have to listen to those other Cinderellas you mentioned then!

Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 24, 2021 11:09 pm

It's ok, to be honest I had also forgotten about it lol.

Yes, there were several international dubs for Snow White in 1937-38. I know about Spanish, Swedish, Italian, German, French, Polish and Brazilian Portuguese (although I haven't found any clips of that one). I've only heard the songs from those dubs though, and the only ones I liked were Spanish and especially Swedish, since the other voices sounded a bit dark, old and operatic for Snow White. The Swedish one was rather fitting though; it was actually Walt Disney's favorite of the foreign Snow White voices and I can see why (though that wasn't really hard when compared to the other singers lol). I know she also dubbed Cinderella and Alice in Swedish, but all of the 3 characters were later redubbed. Here's "I'm Wishing": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx9at6whAoQ

Let me know what you think about those Cinderellas once you listen to them! I generally think Cinderella should have a classic, elegant and timeless voice like those. On the other hand, my ideal Snow White should sound innocent, sweet and lively, but with an old-fashioned charm (like that Swedish version or French 1962), and Aurora should sound operatic but still romantic young and beautiful (French 1981 is the perfect Aurora to me but Hebrew, Swedish, Italian and English come to my mind as well). Of course there are exceptions, for instance I love Cantonese Aurora and she's the opposite of operatic, but still fits in an odd way.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2021 7:59 pm

WhiteLagoon wrote:
It's ok, to be honest I had also forgotten about it lol.

Yes, there were several international dubs for Snow White in 1937-38. I know about Spanish, Swedish, Italian, German, French, Polish and Brazilian Portuguese (although I haven't found any clips of that one). I've only heard the songs from those dubs though, and the only ones I liked were Spanish and especially Swedish, since the other voices sounded a bit dark, old and operatic for Snow White. The Swedish one was rather fitting though; it was actually Walt Disney's favorite of the foreign Snow White voices and I can see why (though that wasn't really hard when compared to the other singers lol). I know she also dubbed Cinderella and Alice in Swedish, but all of the 3 characters were later redubbed. Here's "I'm Wishing": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx9at6whAoQ

Let me know what you think about those Cinderellas once you listen to them! I generally think Cinderella should have a classic, elegant and timeless voice like those. On the other hand, my ideal Snow White should sound innocent, sweet and lively, but with an old-fashioned charm (like that Swedish version or French 1962), and Aurora should sound operatic but still romantic young and beautiful (French 1981 is the perfect Aurora to me but Hebrew, Swedish, Italian and English come to my mind as well). Of course there are exceptions, for instance I love Cantonese Aurora and she's the opposite of operatic, but still fits in an odd way.
I have a making of book for Snow White and that's where I first heard about all the efforts Walt Disney put in making dubs for the international releases, which were mainly geared towards Latin America and Europe as you said. I also remember Walt liked the Swedish voice best. After hearing it, it reminds me a lot of Adriana Caselotti's voice but I wouldn't say it was better than hers. I guess if someone isn't a fan of Adriana's distinctive voice, then the Swedish version would be a better alternative which is similar but less dated. When that Swedish actress dubbed Cinderella and Alice as well, I wonder if she kept her same style of voice or if she modified her speaking and singing patterns to sound different from Snow White. I'll have to listen to those versions myself then. I know with Susan Egan, often her Belle can sound like Meg at times.

The Russian Cinderella has a very pretty voice which also reminds me a bit of her English voice but slightly higher. The Arabic version was nice but tbh I didn't enjoy it as much. I can't see myself listening to it in the background unlike say the Russian version. However, I liked both those dubs over the Dutch version which just didn't sound like Cinderella at all to me. It felt like a voice I'd hear from a modern-day animated movie and seemed to lack the timeless personality of Cinderella. The Russian and Arabic dubs in comparison very much do sound and feel like Walt Disney's Cinderella. I love how you differentiated all three of the classics: Snow White as sweet and old-fashioned, Cinderella as classic and timeless, and Aurora as romantic and operatic. That fits in very well with all three of their personalities.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 1:12 pm

I was never a huge fan of Adriana Caselotti's voice but I also think it's iconic and somehow charming. When it comes to those 1937 Snow Whites, I prefer the Swedish and Spanish versions over her, but Adriana was better than all the other singers imo. As for Tatiana Angelini, I was only was able to find some CD/LP performances of her Cinderella and Alice. I know that first Swedish Cinderella dub is lost, but from those performances I can hear some of her Snow White even though there was a 13/14 year gap between the characters. She still sounded closer to Adriana Caselotti than Kathryn Beaumont and especially Ilene Woods. Still beautiful to hear though. I totally agree with what you said about Susan Egan (although I prefer her voice over Paige O'Hara's).

Glad to hear you liked the Russian Cinderella! I also prefer her over the Arabic one but both are among my favorite Cinderellas. Although I love the Dutch one I can see your issues with her, because I have the same problem with her Belle and especially her Aurora; her voice is pretty but "disconnected" from the characters and atmospheres.

Yes, I think that sums them up rather well!
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 10:30 pm

Adriana's voice is pretty distinctive, enough that I can definitely her the one line she has in The Wizard of Oz. It does seem like Walt had an idea in his head about how Snow White should sound and all his favorite dubs came close to that. Tatiana Angelini must have taken good care of her voice if even after 13/14 years, her voice hadn't aged much (compare that to Paige O'Hara's voice which sounds really different in the 2000s versus the 90s). I'm not sure I would say I prefer Susan's Belle over Paige's Belle but I do think I prefer Susan's voice in general. Maybe because I've heard it in other places (like the English version of Spirited Away) so I find it very distinctive.

I can see why the Russian and Arabic Cinderellas are your favorites! I wonder how old those Russian dubs are since I was under the impression that Russia banned American movies and products for most of the 20th century, at least until the end of the Cold War. Dutch Cinderella reminds me a bit of Rapunzel's English voice in the sense that she just sounds like she belongs in a modern-day film and anything but a period fantasy film. I had no idea she also voiced Belle and Aurora and Aurora in particular I'm guessing must suffer from that considering the setting of her movie.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 11:58 pm

Adriana Caselotti's voice was indeed very distinctive, most people either love her or hate her. I have rather mixed feelings. I can see what Walt had in mind and I can say I agree with that idea of Snow White's voice. Although not my favorite type of voice in general, it's certainly super fitting for the character. I meant I prefer Susan over Paige in general, but when it comes to Belle I think I slightly prefer Paige because I'm more used to her; however I much prefer Susan's voice otherwise, and like you I'm more familiar with her.

My favorite Cinderellas are actually Natalia Sosa and Ilene Woods but those two come right after them for me. I think the Russian dub is fairly new; I'm pretty sure the newer Spanish dub is older than it. I know the Arabic one is also quite recent (I think it's from the 2000s; I know the singer also dubbed Ariel). I can see your issue with Mandy Moore. I actually like her voice (at least more than the other Revival voices save for Kristen Bell) but I also think she sounds too modern; then again Rapunzel's movie seems rather modern for a fairytale, though. I have the same problem with my native Rapunzel, Danna Paola. Like I mentioned some time ago, I used to love her but nowadays not so much. As for the Dutch voice of Cinderella, Aurora and Belle, that's definitely the case. I generally prefer classical voices and Aurora but there's some exceptions; the Dutch one isn't one of them. I like Japanese Aurora (she dubbed my two favorites princesses and I think she did a wonderful job with both), Cantonese (one of the most unique Auroras, I can see why she isn't everyone's taste but I love her), and the new Spanish one (she sounds sweet and age accurate but I'm biased because of the nostalgia here).
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 1:12 am

I actually do love Snow White's voice although I am the only person in my family who thinks that way lol. Like you I agree that it's not my favorite type of voice in general but it suits her very well and that's good enough for me. Non-Snow White characters who sounded like her I might not be as much a fan of. Ok, glad that you and I are also in consensus about preferring Susan's voice over Paige's in general but liking Paige's Belle over Susan's Belle specifically. What I've often noticed about Susan's Belle is that she sounds very close to Meg for me.

The Russian dub being new makes sense then but the voice for Cinderella sounded so classical that I had to wonder if it wasn't also from the 1950s. That is funny that the newer Spanish dub is actually older than the Russian one. I heard a lot of the Arabic versions get redubbed in the 2000s. I know generally with dubbings, they redo them because they no longer have the rights to the original versions. I actually like Mandy Moore as an actress (and even a pop singer) a lot but she doesn't work for me as a classical fairy tale princess. Like you said Tangled comes across as rather modern anyway which is also why I'm not a fan of the movie. What's funny is that when Mandy Moore first heard her voice recordings for Rapunzel, she was actually disappointed with herself and felt she didn't do a good enough job. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the international Rapunzels were all chosen to sound modern and perky. Tbh I barely listen to her songs in English so I haven't ever bothered to listen to her international versions. I'll check out the Japanese, Cantonese, and new Spanish dubs for Aurora then based on your recommendations!
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 6:12 pm

Agree with what you said about Snow White's voice. I think it's the same as with her signature outfit: it would look super weird on any other princess (or character or in general) other than Snow White. It's like it's suitable only for her, and I feel it's the same with Adriana's voice.

Yes, for a modern dub I think Russia did a great casting choice. And I've heard the songs from the newer Arabic TV dubs, but I didn't like most of them. There's a few exceptions (Cinderella) but they aren't big favorites. I know a few of them were dubbed by the same singers as in the 90s and after a 10/15 years gap I think it wasn't a good choice. For example, I love the 1998 Arabic voice of Mulan, but her 2013 version is... ehh. (She also dubbed Rapunzel and I feel the same way). Even worse, the voice of Pocahontas, Esmeralda and Megara wasn't a favorite of mine from the start (she already sounded too old for the characters), but in the 2013 Pocahontas dub it was even worse (same with her Merida).

Yes, that's the case with nearly all of the Rapunzel voices. There's a few I like but I have the same issue. In fact, whenever a Rapunzel VA voiced other characters I tend to prefer those performances: for example, French Rapunzel also dubbed Merida and, even though her voice is more suitable for Rapunzel, I prefer her as Merida. Same with Bulgarian (Elsa), Slovak (Jasmine and Belle), Portuguese (Ariel and Mulan), etc. The only exceptions I can think of are Turkish (her Merida was okay-ish and her Anna was her worst role, but I thought she kinda suited Rapunzel) and Hebrew (my favorite Rapunzel voice; she did great as Moana too but since I prefer Rapunzel's songs I listen to them more).

I think you might be disappointed by the newer Spanish Aurora. I probably would be too if I hadn't grown up with her, but the nostalgia bias is strong lol. Anyway I probably would still find her better than the first Spanish Aurora. As for Japanese, she's one of my favorite international Disney voices both as Aurora and as Ariel <3 And Cantonese is so unique, one of the best Cantonese voices for me: I'm pretty sure she dubbed Cinderella, Aurora, Jasmine, Esmeralda and Anastasia. My favorite role of hers would be Esmeralda (because she managed to turn her sugar-sweet voice into something darker and more solemn) and then Aurora.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 6:31 pm

I completely agree about her iconic outfit. It's one of my favorites but it looks really weird when Cinderella, Aurora, Jasmine, or anyone else wears it. I think part of the reason is that only Snow White can pull off the short bob that matches so well with the outfit.

My guess is that the Arabic 90s singers must have been popular enough with Disney fans that they decided they would cast them again to bank on nostalgia. But like you said, voices can change and age over the years and they won't sound the same. Even Jodi Benson and Paige O'Hara's voices sound very different in the mid-late 90s compared to how they sound in their original films. But I can appreciate how they wanted the fans to have recognizable voices rather than recast completely when often a lot of the new actors don't have the same appeal. The voice of Pocahontas/Esmeralda/Meg already sounding too old to begin with reminds me of how a lot of people feel Elsa's voice is too old for her. I've also heard online that Pocahontas is one of the most popular Disney princesses in Saudi Arabia which is pretty neat considering how much flack she gets almost everywhere else.

It's so hard for me to imagine Rapunzel and Merida being voiced by the same actress. I'll have to look up those French dubs myself and see what they sound like. I have an Israeli friend so I'm guessing he's familiar with the Hebrew Rapunzel and I'll have to ask him what he thinks about that dub since you like it so much. I don't listen to Moana songs much either.

I listened to two Spanish Auroras. The 1959 version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIn9qu_TIAg) and the 2001 version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JMqT2su9ns) which I presume is the newer Aurora you were referring to. I actually really like both but I think I prefer the newer version. Even though the 1959 version is more operatic, I think the 2001 version sounded more romantic and dreamier. They both were lovely though but somehow the 2001 voice is really such a treat to listen to. I can see why you love it so much as well. The Japanese Aurora is also wonderful. Disney seems to have really done a great job casting their Auroras. I have mixed feelings on the Cantonese Aurora though. The singing is amazing as I expected but her speaking voice didn't work for me. It just didn't sound or feel like Aurora, to the point that I almost thought the speaking/singing voices must have been different. I would love to listen to her Cinderella, Jasmine, Esmeralda, and Anastasia voices as well though and see how they compare speaking and singing-wise.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 9:58 pm

I agree that it's a nice detail for the fans but those voices didn't age very well imo. I think it's the same with Paige O'Hara (I still like Jodi Benson's voice even if it really doesn't sound like in the 80s/90s). I also think Idina Menzel was too old for Elsa and I believe she would have been great if Elsa was the villainess she was supposed to be, but not as the Elsa we see in Frozen. I didn't know Pocahontas was so popular in Saudi Arabia, nice to hear! I know she's popular in India because of Phalangeregina's comments.

Yes, Rapunzel and Merida is a rather weird character combo for a voice actress, but there are some that are even weirder to me, like Snow White/Megara (in Korean), Cinderella/Moana (in Polish) or Wendy/Merida (in Hindi). So glad to hear you liked my native Aurora! I was pretty sure you would dislike her because she's so unpopular lol, especially in Latin America most people I know dislike her. I've watched some people in YouTube saying good things about her, but I think the highest I've ever seen her in an Aurora ranking was around 19th. I agree that there's a lot of great Aurora dubs around the world, although there are a few that I dislike. I definitely can see what you say about the Cantonese Aurora, and I'm almost certain that it's because it's two different women doing the speaking and singing. I read once that only a few Auroras had the same speaking and singing voice (like Mary Costa), and some of them sound just super off together like Cantonese or Italian. Not sure if May Chan (the Cantonese singing voice) did the speaking for her other characters though.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2021 4:39 am

I agree with you about Jodi. Even if she doesn't sound identical to Ariel from the original movie, she still sounds very close and her voice still sounds incredible. I'm dreading the day Disney decides she's too old to play her and they phase her out. Paige is a professional singer and she did a lot of voicework for Belle in the 90s and 2000s so I'm really surprised her voice aged as much as it did. I'm assuming it was more a natural thing than a lack of taking care of her voice, but while she does sound older as Belle now, I still think it seemed very unfair of Disney to just drop her. And then they did the same thing with Susan Egan after a few years as well. I can't remember the name of the woman who replaced them both as Belle (she was the one on Sofia the First) but she was frankly pretty terrible. Elsa was a villainess until the last few months of the movie when they completely changed the plot because they liked Let It Go so much and felt it was a better power anthem than a villain song. I know Fanpop doesn't like Elsa much so there's a lot of discussion there about how she should have stayed a villain. I'd be okay with that depending on what time of villain she is, because it doesn't sound like their concept for villain Elsa was going to make her into a new Maleficent or Ursula. In which case, I think I'd rather her be a heroine than a terrible villain. I've seen some commercials for the Disney Princesses in Saudi Arabia on YouTube and it seems like there is truth to Pocahontas being popular there because she tends to dominate those commercials such as here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WEpVhlAjPY And I forgot about Phalangeregina's post on the first page here where she talks about which princesses are popular in her country and how popular Pocahontas is in India. Maybe Pocahontas is more popular in the East in general. I know her movie is well-liked in Japan. There are also several European countries where Pocahontas is a really popular movie, basically as beloved as The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. Instead of the Big Four, those movies are considered the Big Five with Pocahontas.

Oh wow, Snow White and Megara are about as opposite as you can get. And Wendy/Merida and Cinderella/Moana are pretty disparate as well imo. I wonder why your native Aurora is so unpopular except maybe the fact that everyone is used to the older dub. I thought she was easily one of the prettiest sounding Auroras, and that's saying something, because most of the Auroras sound incredible. You can tell every country went for their top talent for her. Cantonese Aurora having a different speaking and singing voice makes sense because I couldn't reconcile how much I disliked the speaking voice only to love the singing voice. Aurora does have such a distinctive voice, especially with the operatic tones while singing, that it's really easy to see how consistency is necessary for her maybe more than other princesses. I've heard a lot of English listeners also say that Aurora sounds much older while she's singing than when she's speaking.

BTW I happened to check out Fanpop recently and congrats on finishing the doll contest! Thank you so much again for completing that for me. I also love that you're doing one for voice actors! Maybe after you finish this current competition you can pick different international voices for each princess and have fans listen to each song/sound clip and pick which international actress did the best job. Like French Aurora vs Cantonese Aurora vs Spanish Aurora 2.0, etc. I know Deedragongirl is very familiar with international princess voices because she used to post all the time about listening to the different dubs and reaching out to the actresses behind those dubs. I heard she got bullied off of Fanpop from the usual suspects but it seems like she's still posting so that's promising. I've been considering returning myself but I have to be honest that a certain user there still makes me feel uneasy and reluctant to return. Especially when many of my other Fanpop friends have left over the past few years as well, and you're one of the few people left who I would still interact with. It's kinda depressing how empty it seems over there.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2021 7:18 pm

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }
I agree that it was unfair for them to just drop Paige and Susan like that, even though nowadays I'm not a big fan of Paige's voice but I'm sure if I had grown up with her I would've been very saddened by the decision. I know that in my native version, the speaking voice of Belle is currently 71 years old and they still let her dub Belle in Wi-Fi Ralph (although in the original movie it was noticeable that she was a 41 years old woman so I preferred watching the Spain version). I don't know the age of her singing voice (the one from that medley video) but I know she dubbed Belle in Sofia the First. Yes, I know that about Elsa. I would have preferred her as a villain but after reading your comment I agree on that it probably wouldn't have been much better... I haven't liked any Disney villain after Gothel and I doubt Elsa would've been the exception. That's so interesting about Pocahontas! Glad she gets recognition there. Here I know she isn't that popular, but the last time I went to a store here (which must have been at least some months ago or more) I saw some products of her (like mugs).

Yes, those character combinations are rather strange. Thank you for such nice comments about my native Aurora! I agree that most countries went for some of their best voices (with a few exceptions that I tend to avoid listening lol, like Indonesian). I agree on that, while Mary Costa is one of the few actresses who did both the speaking and singing for Aurora, she sounds very different in both, but she sounds equally great for the character.

You're very welcome, it was a pleasure to finish that countdown! The international voices thing sounds like a very interesting idea, however I don't know if people would become engaged with it. It's indeed rather empty and it's sad to see. Other people have also left recently, like Duchessrougelle. Yes, I read Deedragongirl's post about leaving but I saw her posting once or twice in the wall after that, which is nice. I'd love if you came back but I understand why you are reluctant about it. In your situation I probably would be, too.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 3:17 am

That makes sense that as someone who did not grow up with the English versions of the Disney movies, you wouldn't harbor the same attachment to the English voice actors either. Wow, a 71-year old Belle. I guess she took good care of her voice if she is still playing her and you're right that she did seem on the older side even when she was originally cast as Belle at 41. I honestly haven't liked any Disney villain since the 90s. King Candy from Wreck-It Ralph is the only one I enjoy, as Disney wasn't afraid of making him fully villainous, but he's not exactly as iconic as say Ursula or Jafar. Gothel confused me because it felt like Disney wasn't sure whether to villainize her or make her a loving mother. The end result is a mixed product for me and I don't know what to make of her. Even in the US, Pocahontas is a very iconic character and movie. How beloved she is, I'm not sure, but I remember reading an online user who said she worked at a store and that everyone was interested in the 90s princesses because that was what they grew up with. So Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, and especially Pocahontas sold really well, meanwhile the newer princesses, like Rapunzel, barely sold anything. I guess that store catered to millennials mostly but it was nice to hear that there is love for Pocahontas after all. I'm also glad that at your store she has some products.

Lol, I'll have to listen to the Indonesian Aurora myself and see what I make of her. What's funny is that Mary Costa also has a Southern accent and Walt had to ask her to not make that evident while voicing Aurora. You can never tell in the finished movie but in interviews with her, it's more apparent.

The international voices contest seems like it would have been more fun if there were a lot more active users around. Otherwise having a poll with more than a dozen choices when there are only half a dozen users regularly participating is kinda a letdown. Which I think is the same reason why nobody conducts Fanpop's favorite princess polls anymore, since they used to feature a wide spectrum of users voicing their thoughts. That's a pity about Duchessrougelle. Does EmaSomolanyiova still post? I remember when I was still on Fanpop that she wasn't around as much as she used to be and she wasn't doing any more polls either. That's nice that Deedragongirl has returned then so she isn't permanently gone. I might change my mind about returning to Fanpop in the future, but right now I'm not very interested especially since it seems like there is never an end to all the troll attacks which have been going on for years now. Thank you though for the kind words!
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2021 10:26 pm

Yes, that's one of the reasons why I preferred the Castilian BatB dub, and it was actually one of the very few cases. Castilian Belle sounded much younger and sweeter and I just like the whole dub more. I actually agree on what you said about Gothel but I still like her. At least it's better than Hans, the sheep from Zootopia or the Moana villains (and Facilier for the matter). I had completely forgotten about King Candy but now that I remember him I agree with you on that as well. Pocahontas being more popular than the newer princesses is too good to be true lol, but it makes sense because of the customers' age (I assume so).

I can't help but laugh with the Indonesian Aurora lol. The first line or so doesn't sound that bad but it goes completely downhill afterwards. Even countries like Albania (whose dubs are generally not my taste) did better. I know she also dubbed Giselle, which was still rather bad, albeit slightly less awful. Although that's probably because I'm less exigent with Giselle's voices, and even so she's still one of the worst Giselles.

Some months ago I thought about making a romance language countdown in Fanpop but I thought there were too few people. And I had absolutely no idea so many more users would leave shortly after, which was really sad. Ema disappeared for a while but she apparently came back; I saw her commenting on my voices countdown and a few other recent polls, which is nice to see. I actually sent Duchess this forum's link and asked if she was ok after what had happened, but she deleted her account immediately after so I'm not sure if she could even read the message. She came back with a new account but also deleted it after some time. There's indeed a lot of troll attacks in the wall and in the poll comments basically all the time, which is rather discouraging. Although I have never received any attack myself (or at least I didn't see any) it's so discouraging to see those posts directed to other users and them leaving. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the very few trying to keep the spot's spark alive.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2021 1:17 am

I've heard the Castilian Ariel is well-liked and I've listened to that Part of Your World and I think it's pretty enough. I haven't ever directly compared it to either of the two Spanish dubs for Ariel though. And yes, I agree that Gothel is still better than any of the villains after her, not that there is much competition. Hans was a total letdown and I preferred him as a love interest. I still remember everyone was convinced he was going to turn out evil during the promotion which I just did not believe or expect so I was unpleasantly surprised when I read the spoilers and learned he really is the villain. The sheep from Zootopia (and I remember her name but I think I prefer to refer to her as that lol) was a joke and this is coming from someone who actually likes Zootopia. And with Moana, they didn't even bother. I'm not really a fan of Facilier either, he just didn't work for me. I think King Candy worked for me because he's given screentime and he's really quite twisted. He even gets the transformation in the climax that many of the popular villains get. I think princess favorites really depend on which generation you grew up with. The Instagram age loves Rapunzel, Elsa, and Ariel the most and you won't see much love for the classics from them. The 90s fans love Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, etc. and then there's the Tumblr crowd which thinks Belle and Mulan are the only Disney heroines worth anything and everyone else is trash. If you go by Tumblr, Mulan is the most popular "princess," when that is anything but true when you look at the interests of little kids today and how much money each princess makes. I'm not a Mulan fan at all so I'm quite pleased that appreciation for her died out after the millennials demographic and today's children are not interested in her at all.

I just listened to the Indonesian Aurora and wow LOL. At first when she was singing the first line, I was thinking to myself that I actually like this and then suddenly it turned into a trainwreck. It's weird how there are lines where her voice sounds really pretty and then other parts where it sounds like a parody. I actually don't think I've ever bothered to listen to any of the Giselle dubs. Because while I like Enchanted a lot, it's not a movie I spend a lot of time on and there's no much Giselle discourse in the fandom either.

Yeah, it really is tragic that with so little users left, there was then a mass exodus of users since. I'm glad to hear Ema is back since I remember for a while she wasn't around much and I wasn't sure what had happened to her. That's a pity to hear about duchess. It sounds like she did come back (only to leave again), so who knows whether or not she'll pop back up like some other users have been doing. I'm glad to hear you've never been attacked. Count yourself lucky especially since you seem to have been able to avoid all the drama and infighting that goes on and that's probably why you never got called out. I'm starting to notice a pattern that the most vocal users are the ones who get called out the most, for better or for worse. I know swanpride keeps things going with her dress-up doll contests but I don't think she's very active beyond that like she used to be. I used to love reading her articles and posts but she doesn't really do that anymore.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2021 7:35 pm

Yes, the Castilian Spanish TLM dub is the dub I talked about some time ago (I mentioned I preferred their Ursula). Now I feel I might have completely missed another TLM dub but from what I found in Google I think that's the only two. Anyway, I actually like the Castilian Ariel (though I prefer the one from the medley like I said before) but I'm not a fan of her Mulan. I generally prefer the Latin Spanish dubs but there's a few Castilian Spanish dubs that I prefer over them. For instance, I love their Belle, Pocahontas, Megara and Anastasia.

Lol I watched Zootopia a few times and my brother loves it but I don't remember the villain's name (or much of the movie in general, other than the main characters and Shakira lol). I used to actually like Hans for some reason (because back then kids my age thought he was awesome) but after some time I realized what a lame villain he was. It's as if they only liked him because he reminded them of their exes or something. I totally agree on what you said about the different generations' favorites. Lol, Mulan is still popular among people my age here but small children seem to have little interest in her. I know girls my age generally like the Renaissances and the earlier revivals (Tiana, Rapunzel, Merida) but I haven't heard much of their opinions on the newer ones or the classics. I think I'm one of the few boys my age here that actually likes Disney in general so I don't know about their taste. The few times I heard my male classmates talking about Disney was because of something I shared on Instagram about Sleeping Beauty and they barely remembered anything from it (predictable, as it's already not very popular, but it's still sad). I have a 5 years old cousin who obsesses over the DP merchandising but for some reason my aunt doesn't let her watch most of the Disney movies in general. She likes the way Aurora is promoted because she's blonde and loves pink, but the one time I attempted to watch SB with her my mother told me to turn it off in case my aunt or uncle returned (it was in the "before the sun sets on her sixteenth birthday..." part).

That's so true about the Indonesian Aurora, that it's hard to believe that it's an official dub. I don't pay much attention to Giselle's voices either but there's a few that I really love. I think my favorite Giselle is my native one because she fits Amy Adams' face very well and because she sounds super sweet and princess-y. However her Anna isn't as good and in most of her non-animated roles she sounds downright like a parody (which works for Giselle but for a serious character, not at all).

Yes, I tend to avoid the drama as much as possible because I really don't want to leave Fanpop, but sometimes I feel the need to defend users when they're being attacked for nothing. I've always been a bit of a coward to speak up though even for myself, let alone for others. I don't know all of what happened when you left, but I know Deedragongirl said something about Meghan Markle and she started being bullied for it (although I think those messages were deleted so I most likely didn't read all of them) and you defended her. I always thought Dee was (and is) really sweet with her wall posts updating news and asking for prayers for those who needed them, so that ongoing spiral of drama was really surprising. If you want you can maybe answer these by PMs though.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2021 1:51 am

Sorry, when I meant two Spanish Ariel dubs, I meant the Latin Spanish. I think there are two of them for The Little Mermaid. I'm only familiar with one Castilian Spanish dub. And I can see why you prefer the medley one since that was really well done. Would you say Anastasia is popular as a movie/character in Latin America?

The sheep's name is Bellwether, but I can see why you only remember her as the sheep. I think about half of the people my generation thought Hans was pretty cool because of how he kept his villainy a secret and they weren't expecting that and the other half thought he was lame because he quickly devolved into a cliche villain with all the generic villain lines. I know a lot of people have thought Gaston reminded them of their exes so I wouldn't be surprised if Hans elicited a similar reaction. Girls my age have similar tastes as you. Generally they love the 90s movies, including a few non-Disney ones like Anastasia (which is Disney now anyway), and some of the newer classics such as Tangled and Frozen. There are actually a lot of guys that do like Disney but I've noticed many of them are reluctant to speak up because of Disney's reputation with princesses. One guy in my class mentioned liking Disney and another girl asked him why he felt that way since Disney was "only princesses." Speaking of Sleeping Beauty and how it isn't very popular these days, I was in a class once where our teacher was pointing out how nobody remembers Aurora's name and she's only known as Sleeping Beauty generally. I've even heard stories about people at the Disney Parks looking around to meet Sleeping Beauty even though there's a sign right next to them with Aurora's name but they don't think the two are the same person. Is your aunt picky about the content in Disney movies like the villains being too scary? Going by what your mom said it sounds like maybe the Maleficent scenes would bother her. And lol, Aurora used to be my favorite because she wore pink and was blonde. She felt the most like a Barbie out of all the princesses. I used to think she was one of the most popular princesses because of her appearance but apparently even back in the 2000s, she was the least popular of the six main princesses.

Giselle and Anna are voiced by the same actress in your native language correct? I think that makes sense since I've heard a lot of people comment about how Anna starting off in Frozen comes across as a classic princess parody like Giselle. They certainly have more in common than say with Merida or Tiana. Perhaps the actress was purposefully playing Anna as a parody hence the final product.

I can definitely understanding your reasoning especially since it seems nothing good has ever happened from speaking up on Fanpop. I don't mind talking about the drama here since this place is barely populated and it's the truth anyway so I have nothing to hide. Deedragongirl made some comments about Meghan Markle as you remember (I'm not sure if they are deleted or not, I think they are still up because only BB2010 deletes her messages and wall posts) and people ganged up on her calling her racist. I defended her because I said you can't assume she's racist just for not liking Meghan Markle and that was that. Apparently BB2010 went on long rants about Deedragongirl on the wall, calling her out with rude names and even cussing her. Dee got upset about that so BB then deleted those wall posts attacking Dee. Dee also told BB that it was inappropriate to use the main wall as a personal diary to vent about users. I stepped in and made a post (which is still up I believe) that was essentially directed at BB but I didn't call out her name. I said the wall is not a personal diary to attack other users and that it is bothersome to other users. BB had a major freakout and lost it when I posted this, accusing me of trying to "kill" her lol even though I didn't even specifically call out her name. It was obvious who I was talking about to anyone who had been following the wall but she only drew more attention to herself by confirming herself as the culprit. Then there's the fact that at the same time BB would post and rant, she had a friend Animefan2011, who would strangely be always up and active at the same time BB was. BB claims they are "best friends" but literally everyone I've spoken to about the situation says it's obvious that Animefan is BB's sock account. After getting called out for cursing at Dee, BB clearly felt it was better to lash out at me under a fake account even though it's so obvious they are the same person, right down to the same tastes.

One of the reasons I indirectly called out BB on the wall after she attacked Dee was because I had a private incident with her before. On one of BB's polls, I made a comment about disliking the Frozen II song "The Next Right Thing." Suddenly I got a pm from BB asking me to please delete or edit my comment. I was shocked because I couldn't understand why she would ask me to do this and I politely told her that I was not going to censor myself. That I was taken aback because no user in all my years at Fanpop had ever asked me (or any other user) to change their opinion just because it conflicted with another person's. I told her that it was incredibly unusual to ask this and also a bit rude but I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt and not get offended even though another user might be. Well, that just started a personal feud because BB claimed I was being unreasonable and that this song was really personal to her so she didn't like my opinion. She got testy and belligerent so I flat out told her that had she approached me in a kind manner, I might have agreed for her sake, but when she claimed that I had deliberately ignored an article of hers where she talked about how personal that song was, I got really annoyed. I told her that I hadn't read her article and while I might have before, after the way she was treating me, I was under no obligation to find out why the song is so important and I won't be reading it. Nor was I going to censor my opinion about a song from a fictional movie. Then she started ranting about how I had a vendetta against her. Apparently BB took offense about the time I asked her on one of her contest polls as to why Rapunzel won a round when she was tied with Ariel in votes and comments. Wavesurf had called out BB for similar reasons about how BB was letting her Rapunzel bias influence her so based on my asking BB the same thing, BB became convinced that Wavesurf and I were in cahoots to attack BB. All of BB's messages to me about "The Next Right Thing" were literally referring to me as a team with Wavesurf because BB was that paranoid. Anyway I told BB never to contact me again, how I wasn't ever going to interact with her or any of her polls anymore, but I also wasn't going to expose her behavior to anyone else at Fanpop provided she behave herself. That if I saw her come after another user the way she did with me, then I would call her out. That's why when she attacked Dee, I did call her out but even then, I never used her name so her freakout was really just poor decision making on her part.

So all those wall posts were basically a result of this. I also called out BB for being shady enough to use the wall to constantly complain about another user, only to delete that wall post, then apologize (always a general apology that is not directed to anyone specifically), before even deleting that apology. I said she was using the wall as a weapon to make herself come across as a victim based on how she would censor herself after she was caught in order to look better. As you might remember, I ended up deleting my Fanpop account when I started to get threatening messages and that was one step too far for me. I have every reason to believe it was BB behind the attack based on her general instability (claiming she was on the verge of suicide from all the users on Fanpop coming after her and how she needed to leave for her mental health, only to be back the very next day still whining about how everyone was about to be responsible for her death) as well as the fact that multiple other users were attacked. And all those users were people BB had issues with as well. I saw that Dee posted on the wall about how she got some hate messages and while she didn't call out BB specifically, it was obvious who she meant. I know Phalangeregina quit Fanpop and retreated here the same time as me. I heard Phalangeregina's story and apparently she got involved because when "Animefan" was hogging the wall to claim she had a list of users who were after BB and she would share it with anyone who asked, Phalangeregina pmed that account to ask who the list was. Apparently "Animefan" was belligerent to her as well and had no list so Phalangeregina called out BB for her stunts and lying on the wall, only to be attacked the next day with a threatening message. And it sounds like that may have happened to Duchess as well from what I've heard.

The only puzzle piece that doesn't make sense to me is Wavesurf. I find that connection very confusing because Wavesurf herself used to message me about BB2010. When I first had my issue with BB2010 via pms about the Frozen II song, I then messaged Wavesurf to explain to her that I was sorry BB was dragging her into this incident and accusing us both of working against BB. Wavesurf said it wasn't my fault and I was not to blame because BB had been passive aggressively harassing her on the wall for several months and she was attacking me to get to Wavesurf. What confuses me about this now is that when I last checked Fanpop, I saw that Wavesurf and BB are now acting like really close friends so I find that behavior bizarre. Anyway, sorry for the very long explanation but I didn't know how else to truncate it without losing any important details. BB's behavior has been very off-putting to me and several others it seems and I'm not in the mood to deal with her general attitude anymore. I just hope Dee is all right through all this because it sounds as though she's still getting hate mail and like you said she's really very sweet.
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2021 8:21 pm

I think Anastasia is relatively popular here, at least more than some of the less popular DPs. Some people think she's a Disney Princess but I think that happens all over the world. She was voiced by a famous actress/singer (Thalia) in Latin Spanish. Although I have seen some of her TV soaps and I like some of her songs, I don't like her as Anastasia; the songs feel like those 90s pop versions of Disney songs (I feel like she sung them just like any of her own songs) and I don't think that's a good sign because I hear Thalia, not an embodiment of the character. The Castilian Anastasia is wonderful though.

That's rather true about the fandom. Today I was talking with a (male) classmate about Disney and he actually knew quite a few things so I was surprised. He has never watched TLM though, and didn't get why I mentioned Aurora as my favorite. He actually knew her name but only because he watched Maleficent 2 at the cinema with his ex girlfriend and had some fond memories (not precisely of the movie). Then we went on ranting on how awful the Disney live-actions are (with a few exceptions). I think the main reason my aunt doesn't want my cousins to watch Disney movies is because she probably thinks they're anti-feminist or something, which is something a lot of people say about Sleeping Beauty (which is rather stupid because Phillip literally works with three old women to fight a dragon and rescue Aurora). I know they have watched Frozen, Brave, etc. I don't think it's because of the villains because she's a teacher and she actually reads the original fairytales to her students, which are much darker than the Disney versions. My mother once gave my cousin a DP storybook (featuring Belle, Aurora, etc.) as a present but they got rid of it, because the very next time I visited them it seemed as if the book had never existed.

I can certainly see how Anna can be reminiscent of a parody of the classics, and she's closer to Giselle than to other characters. So thinking about it, it would make sense if the actress purposefully dubbed her like that.

It's interesting that today I saw a user on the wall saying that BB had attacked her or something like that but I just checked and those posts are gone. I never had any problem with BB but it's suspicious that so many people have. And to be honest I always found the Anime-fan account as rather strange, because the only times I remember reading her was with the poll you mentioned and with the Meghan Markle thing; and in DMs she sent me, Anime-fan used the same words and expressions as BB. I had read that article she posted and I can see why the song is special to her, but I don't think it was right from her to just ask you to censor yourself just because of a different opinion. I think that's precisely the point of Fanpop, to share our different points of view. To avoid any problems, I just try to be nice to everyone and that includes BB, for example some time ago I sent some prayers for her grandma because she was supposedly at the hospital. I think Wavesurf might just be doing the same, however I haven't talked with her about the matter. Other than that I hardly ever respond to BB's wall posts and I haven't interacted much in her polls, because most of the time it's a lot of "Princess vs Heroine" polls, which were fun at first but frankly I got bored. Anyway, I can see why this behavior was off-putting and I don't blame you. I hope Dee, Duchess and everyone else are ok. It's sad to see so many nice people leaving because of this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Disney Princess Line   The Disney Princess Line - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Disney Princess Line
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next