Disney Mania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Disney's Divinity

Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Apparently the film is #1 for the second weekend in a row. With NYC theaters just now opening, I hope the film will take off a little more. Still, I have hope Disney will give the property another chance with a sequel no matter how things go at the box office considering this was dropped in the middle of a pandemic.

Here in NC, the governor (thank God we had a Dem during the pandemic) had theaters on a lockdown that only lifted March 1st, which is how I was able to see it. Smile

Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 5:24 pm

I know that they estimated how much Soul made on Disney+, so surely they'll calculate how much Raya made. Also they have to take into consideration how much merchandise they're selling, right? I really hope the movie does well- I've already watched it three times. I'm so in love with it.
Back to top Go down
https://animationresearchavenue.blogspot.com/
Disney's Divinity

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 5:37 pm

Me, too. I just loved the movie. <3 And it has so much potential as a franchise. I mean, I was always going to be there for Frozen getting sequels--my personal opinion is Disney wanted to go into 3D to create sequels for big bucks all along--but fairy tales don't lend themselves easily to sequels. I did enjoy Frozen II even if it has a few faults, I'm not knocking it at all. Just I know sequels to Raya would be amazing considering what a huge world it has.

Zootopia's sequel should be fun, too. I did like that film a great deal, although a little less than Raya. I think the difference was I liked all the side characters and their antics in Raya, whereas a few of them in Zootopia can be a little irksome. I'm sure Raya's detractors feel the same way about Noi though; it's what I expected Boun to be, but I ended up really liking him instead.
Back to top Go down
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 6:10 pm

Zootopia is a great movie, but I agree with you that I like Raya more.  It feels like comparing apples and oranges...I'm really looking forward to the Zootopia+ shorts show that will be coming out.  I'll like whatever Zootopia content they come out with, I'm sure.  Zootopia lends itself to either go comedic or dramatic (more comedic :p), whereas anything Raya-related...obviously there is humor, but it's such an epic world, vs. Zootopia's "normal" world...you know what I mean.  More of both, please. :p
Back to top Go down
Disney's Divinity

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 6:42 pm

Yes, you're right. They are apples to oranges, but that's how it is to compare most Disney films actually. They all have their own feel. Zootopia is definitely more comedy-oriented. Very Happy

blackcauldron85 likes this post

Back to top Go down
D82

D82

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 7:16 pm

I'm glad it's still the number one movie at the box office in its second weekend. I hope the situation keeps improving and more people get to see it. Anyway, I'm not too worried about its performance. It's a good movie and good movies usually end up being profitable one way or another. Though, of course it's a shame it can't have a better chance at doing it right now.

Regarding a possible sequel, I don't know. On the one hand, I would like to see more of these characters and this world, but I don't have much confidence they can make a good sequel. I think I'd prefer a TV series instead.

By the way, I've notice you've added Raya and Namaari to your signature/avatar, Disney's Divinity. Did you draw them yourself? They look really cool.
Back to top Go down
Disney's Divinity

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 7:27 pm

D82 wrote:

By the way, I've notice you've added Raya and Namaari to your signature/avatar, Disney's Divinity. Did you draw them yourself? They look really cool.
Yes. I know they probably stick out like a sore thumb compared to the others, which all came from the End Credits of Ralph Breaks the Internet. I could've done better by hand, but I don't have a scanner or anything. I just would've liked it better if the lines could've been more clean. I used side view screenshots for both of the characters.

I went ahead and included Pocahontas's and Merida's avatars from that film at the same time. geek
Back to top Go down
D82

D82

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 8:53 pm

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I know they probably stick out like a sore thumb compared to the others, which all came from the End Credits of Ralph Breaks the Internet.

No, they don't. That's why I wasn't sure if you had drawn them yourself or not. I especially like Namaari's avatar. Good idea to use side view screenshots of the characters. And I didn't notice Pocahontas' and Merida's avatars were also new.

Disney's Divinity likes this post

Back to top Go down
Disney's Divinity

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 2:48 am

Yeah, the last time I wore this banner, I discluded Merida because she was PIXAR, which meant one was left over. So I decided to leave one off rather than have one picture off to the side by itself, and Pocahontas had the weakest drawing, sadly. I didn't leave her off because I disliked the character by any means, she's one of my favorites. But when I decided to make one of Namaari to go with Raya, I decided to go ahead and throw Pocahontas and Merida on there, too, while I was at it.

Raya and the Last Dragon Broke a Cardinal Film Rule - and It Worked
https://www.cbr.com/raya-the-last-dragon-broke-disney-film-rule/
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
D82

D82

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 3:09 am

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Yeah, the last time I wore this banner, I discluded Merida because she was PIXAR, which meant one was left over. So I decided to leave one off rather than have one picture off to the side by itself, and Pocahontas had the weakest drawing, sadly. I didn't leave her off because I disliked the character by any means, she's one of my favorites. But when I decided to make one of Namaari to go with Raya, I decided to go ahead and throw Pocahontas and Merida on there, too, while I was at it.

Oh, OK. I thought it was strange you left Pocahontas out at first when you told me she wasn't included before, but that explains it.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Farerb

Farerb

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 3:44 pm

Walt Disney Animation Studios’ epic adventure Raya and the Last Dragon will be arriving on all major digital platforms beginning April 2, and on 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD beginning May 18!

I can't post links for a week....
Back to top Go down
Farerb

Farerb

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 3:55 pm

Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion Unname10
Back to top Go down
Farerb

Farerb

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 4:37 pm

Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion Raya-a10
Back to top Go down
Disney's Divinity

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 5:35 pm

Two months later seems so fast, but I'm glad. Of course, I may not get it the first day since I'm sure it'll be $20+ at first. The 4K cover is much better than the other one, but I'll be getting the cheapest Blu-ray option anyway.
Back to top Go down
Farerb

Farerb

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 6:02 pm

Walt Disney Animation Studios’ epic adventure Raya and the Last Dragon will be arriving on all major digital platforms beginning April 2, and on 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD beginning May 18! The home release includes Disney’s new animated short “Us Again.” The animated feature is currently playing in select theaters. The film is also available on Disney+ Premier Access and will become available to all Disney+ subscribers on June 4, 2021. You can check out the rest of the home release details below!

Long ago, in the fantasy world of Kumandra, humans and dragons lived together in harmony. But when sinister monsters known as the Druun threatened the land, the dragons sacrificed themselves to save humanity. Now, 500 years later, those same monsters have returned and it’s up to a lone warrior, Raya, to track down the last dragon in order to finally stop the Druun for good. However, along her journey, she’ll learn that it’ll take more than dragon magic to save the world—it’s going to take trust as well.

From directors Don Hall and Carlos López Estrada, co-directors Paul Briggs and John Ripa, producers Osnat Shurer and Peter Del Vecho, and featuring the voices of Kelly Marie Tran (Star Wars: The Last Jedi) as Raya and Awkwafina (The Farewell) as Sisu, the voice cast also includes Gemma Chan (Captain Marvel) as Raya’s nemesis, Namaari; Daniel Dae Kim (Hellboy) as Raya’s visionary father, Benja; Sandra Oh (Killing Eve) as Namaari’s powerful mother, Virana; Benedict Wong (Doctor Strange) as Tong, a formidable giant; Izaac Wang as Boun, a 10-year-old entrepreneur; Thalia Tran as the mischievous toddler Little Noi; Alan Tudyk (Harley Quinn) as Tuk Tuk, Raya’s best friend and trusty steed; Lucille Soong (Fresh Off the Boat) as Dang Hu, the leader of the land of Talon; Patti Harrison (Shrill) as the chief of the Tail land; and Ross Butler (To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You) as chief of the Spine land.

Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Raya and the Last Dragon Bonus Features:

• An Introduction to Us Again – Director Zach Parrish takes you behind the scenes of the Walt Disney Animation Studios short.
• Us Again – An elderly man and his young-at-heart wife rekindle their passion for life on one magical night.
• Taste of Raya – Dine along with Kelly Marie Tran and the film’s creative team–virtually–over a Southeast Asian menu inspired by the countries that influenced the film as they discuss their experiences creating the world of Kumandra.
• Raya: Bringing it Home – When the global pandemic of 2020 hit, production of Raya and the Last Dragon moved to the houses of over 450 people. We open a window into their lives and learn how they overcame massive obstacles to make an animated feature from home.
• Martial Artists – You’ll get a kick out of learning about the martial art forms and weapons used in the film as co-screenwriter Qui Nguyen and visual anthropologist Dr. S. Steve Arounsack share the inspiration behind the film’s action-packed elements.
• We are Kumandra – Meet members of the Southeast Asia Story Trust and discover the cultural influences that inspired the film…and how important this representation in a Disney animated film is to the people of the region.
• Outtakes – Step into the homes and behind the mics of the cast of Raya and the Last Dragon as they experience voice-over sessions in closets and shaky internet connections, which made recording this film unlike any other.
• Fun Facts & Easter Eggs – Take a look at some of the hidden surprises and behind-the-scenes secrets of Raya and the Last Dragon.
• The Story Behind the Storyboard with John Ripa – Co-Director John Ripa invites you to get an inside look at his thought process as he pitches a storyboard sequence from the film and talks about his amazing career with Disney Animation.

• Deleted Scenes
-Introduction – Head of Story Fawn Veerasunthorn introduces deleted scenes from Raya and the Last Dragon.
-The Bridge – Raya confronts an early version of the Druun in this deleted storyboard sequence.
-Escaping Namaari – See an early version sequence of an introduction to Namaari as an adult.
-Dragon Blade – Discover an early version of Raya’s sword, when it used to have magical powers.
-Meet Boun – Meet an early version of Boun before he was a chef and shrimp boat captain.
-The Heart of the Dragon – Co-Director John Ripa introduces a deleted scene which brought the theme of hope into the film.
Back to top Go down
Disney's Divinity

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 6:11 pm

I did think Raya's sword was going to be connected to the stone somehow, with powers of its own. I wonder if something along those lines might've been an early idea--that while looking for Sisu, she found the sword?
Back to top Go down
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 7:11 pm

The sword already is super neat, but a MAGICAL sword! If I wasn't paying student loans and still had $ for tattoos, I thought that Taran & his sword and Raya & her sword, together, would make a nice tattoo. I was disappointed that Disney+ is low on bonus features for this film, so I'm happy that the Blu-ray seems to have a lot of goodies.
Back to top Go down
D82

D82

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 10:40 pm

Farerb wrote:
Walt Disney Animation Studios’ epic adventure Raya and the Last Dragon will be arriving on all major digital platforms beginning April 2, and on 4K UHD, Blu-ray, and DVD beginning May 18!

April 2? That's very soon, isn't it? Is it normal that the digital version is available so early after the release in theaters? I don't pay much attention to home video releases nowadays, as I don't buy the Blu-ray as soon as it gets released like I used to do in the past (now I wait until I can get it cheaper), so I'm not sure if this is unusual or not.

Many bonus features recorded from people's houses, but I'm glad there'll be several featurettes and deleted scenes. I wish there was also an audio commentary, though.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I did think Raya's sword was going to be connected to the stone somehow, with powers of its own. I wonder if something along those lines might've been an early idea--that while looking for Sisu, she found the sword?

It's interesting that the sword was going to have magical powers. Some toy versions of the sword light up and produce sounds, so I guess that element was changed quite late in the process.

blackcauldron85 wrote:
I was disappointed that Disney+ is low on bonus features for this film, so I'm happy that the Blu-ray seems to have a lot of goodies.

What bonus features does it have on Disney+? Finally, I was able to see the film in theaters (I saw it twice there), so I didn't pay the Premier access.
Back to top Go down
Farerb

Farerb

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyTue Mar 16, 2021 2:14 am

D82 wrote:

Many bonus features recorded from people's houses, but I'm glad there'll be several featurettes and deleted scenes. I wish there was also an audio commentary, though.
I honestly don't understand that. Were Musker and Clements the only ones that were willing to share their thoughts on their films? Why none of the other directors do it?
Back to top Go down
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyTue Mar 16, 2021 12:45 pm

D82 wrote:
What bonus features does it have on Disney+? Finally, I was able to see the film in theaters (I saw it twice there), so I didn't pay the Premier access.
Trailer (2m), Creating Kumandra (4m), Raya From Home (4m)
Back to top Go down
D82

D82

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyTue Mar 16, 2021 4:43 pm

Farerb wrote:
I honestly don't understand that. Were Musker and Clements the only ones that were willing to share their thoughts on their films? Why none of the other directors do it?

It's probably the studio that doesn't want to invest time or money on that anymore. It's a shame, audio commentaries are one of my favorite kind of bonus features.

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Trailer (2m), Creating Kumandra (4m), Raya From Home (4m)

Thanks! I guess I'll get to watch those two featurettes when the movie's available for free on Disney+. I finally subscribed for a full year before the price increased, since when I had it for a month I didn't have time to take much advantage of it. Though, it seems the international versions of Disney+ don't always have the same content. Many films don't have bonus features here in Spain, or just have the trailer, so we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Farerb

Farerb

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyWed Mar 17, 2021 4:08 am

Early concept art of Raya vs Druun:
Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion 20210310
I'm really glad they didn't go this route.
Back to top Go down
Disney's Divinity

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyWed Mar 17, 2021 1:36 pm

It reminds me of the Power Rangers-esque costume of the witch in the Mulan remake. I don't understand. I thought that even when they were going to be somewhat more sentient, they were still going to be shadow creatures. I would've thought something ghost-like, a non-corporeal form made of smoke or, well, darkness?

Random thought here, but the way the pieces of the dragon stone are used to fend off the Druun in the finished film reminds me of how Frodo uses the light of Galadriel in LOTR.
Back to top Go down
D82

D82

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyThu Mar 18, 2021 2:41 am

Farerb wrote:
I'm really glad they didn't go this route.

Me too. The final version of the Druun is more original and still menacing. Also, if they had been more sentient, they probably would've had more screen time and that would've meant less time to develop the main characters.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Random thought here, but the way the pieces of the dragon stone are used to fend off the Druun in the finished film reminds me of how Frodo uses the light of Galadriel in LOTR.

It's true; it's quite similar. I hadn't thought of that.
Back to top Go down
SirNandor

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 19, 2021 4:41 am

I've been holding out in the hope cinemas might open soon here... I don't go to the movies much, but the Disneys are the exception. I really want to see this on the big screen. Plus, I don't have Disney+ and don't intend to get it, it's driving me crazy that everyone's already seen it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion   Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Raya and the Last Dragon (2021) Discussion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next