Disney Mania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion

Go down 
+5
OnTheMoonAtLast
WhiteLagoon
jeangreyforever
Farerb
Disney's Divinity
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Disney's Divinity

Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 9:00 pm

For the discussion of the Walt Disney film, Sleeping Beauty. One of those films that vie for the title of "greatest Disney film," thanks in large part to its detailed animation and backgrounds, as well as what is often considered the greatest Disney villain of all time.
Back to top Go down
Farerb

Farerb

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyThu Mar 18, 2021 7:00 pm

I wanted to share it again. That beautiful early design of Aurora where she looks more like Audrey Hepburn:
Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion Pxl_2011
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyThu Mar 18, 2021 7:12 pm

Aurora, Belle, and Anastasia are the three princesses who were based off of Audrey Hepburn. It's interesting how much staying power she's had even though there's a 30-40 year gap between Aurora and Belle & Anya. Tbh, I am not an Audrey Hepburn fan at all and find her very overrated so I prefer Aurora's final design.
Back to top Go down
Farerb

Farerb

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 19, 2021 3:01 am

You don't like her because she started the manic pixie dream girl in Sabrina (which I know you don't like) or because of another reason? How does it make you feel about Belle which resemble her more than Aurora does?
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 19, 2021 5:56 am

Farerb wrote:
You don't like her because she started the manic pixie dream girl in Sabrina (which I know you don't like) or because of another reason? How does it make you feel about Belle which resemble her more than Aurora does?
I'm not a fan of that trope but I've actually never seen Sabrina so I didn't even realize that she started it. I'm not a fan of her for stuff she did in her personal life, plus I think she is just an overrated actress in general. Pop culture seems to think that Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe are the only two "Old Hollywood" actresses worth remembering and I've never seen the appeal of either of them. There are far superior actresses and stars from that era who deserve more attention.

I think some of the early concept art of Belle resembles Audrey Hepburn more than the final product (much like with Aurora).
Back to top Go down
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptySat Mar 20, 2021 7:16 pm

This my all time favorite Disney movie <3 It brings so many beautiful memories, has wonderful characters, stunning animation and music... I just love it! I make sure to watch it every Valentine's Day (and of course other times of the year as well!).
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptySat Mar 20, 2021 9:35 pm

Sleeping Beauty is one of my all-time favorite movies! I think it's truly the peak of Disney animation and there's never been another movie like it and probably never will be. It really is a perfect movie for Valentine's Day and the month of February considering it is the ultimate fairy tale.
Back to top Go down
OnTheMoonAtLast

OnTheMoonAtLast

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyTue Mar 23, 2021 8:04 pm

jeangreyforever wrote:
Pop culture seems to think that Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe are the only two "Old Hollywood" actresses worth remembering and I've never seen the appeal of either of them. There are far superior actresses and stars from that era who deserve more attention.

Not to get too OT here but totally agree on MM. Not only does she tend to attract the worst kind of fans (gotten harassed by 2, one of whom was this old guy who actually stalked me on another forum for at least a whole year) but I just don't... get it? I think men liked her "dirty" reputation which people confuse for having genuine beauty. And unfortunately, everyone loves a dead starlet. She was also notoriously hard to work with and supposedly had the audacity to call Jacqueline Kennedy to confess to wanting to marry JFK. (To which she awesomely responded, "Okay, Marilyn. I'll leave and you marry Jack and you can deal with his problems.") I've even heard her called a comedic genius which I think is pushing it severely. Yes, I feel sorry for her, but people act like if you don't adore her as a role model you're a nasty hater.

But Audrey I think deserves her legacy. She brought a different kind of beauty, a persona that was neither the popular bombshell nor ingenue desired at the time, and she was a genuinely kind humanitarian people liked being around. I really don't see why people think Breakfast At Tiffany's is a masterpiece, but she did some good movies (The Nun's Story, Wait Until Dark, Roman Holiday, one of the few rom coms I like).

Also, I didn't know Belle was based on Audrey and I don't really see it, tbh. Not in looks or manner really. I can definitely see her angular looks and graceful figure in Aurora though, and her eyebrows and doe eyes in Anya.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyTue Mar 23, 2021 8:42 pm

OnTheMoonAtLast wrote:
jeangreyforever wrote:
Pop culture seems to think that Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe are the only two "Old Hollywood" actresses worth remembering and I've never seen the appeal of either of them. There are far superior actresses and stars from that era who deserve more attention.

Not to get too OT here but totally agree on MM. Not only does she tend to attract the worst kind of fans (gotten harassed by 2, one of whom was this old guy who actually stalked me on another forum for at least a whole year) but I just don't... get it? I think men liked her "dirty" reputation which people confuse for having genuine beauty. And unfortunately, everyone loves a dead starlet. She was also notoriously hard to work with and supposedly had the audacity to call Jacqueline Kennedy to confess to wanting to marry JFK. (To which she awesomely responded, "Okay, Marilyn. I'll leave and you marry Jack and you can deal with his problems.") I've even heard her called a comedic genius which I think is pushing it severely. Yes, I feel sorry for her, but people act like if you don't adore her as a role model you're a nasty hater.

But Audrey I think deserves her legacy. She brought a different kind of beauty, a persona that was neither the popular bombshell nor ingenue desired at the time, and she was a genuinely kind humanitarian people liked being around. I really don't see why people think Breakfast At Tiffany's is a masterpiece, but she did some good movies (The Nun's Story, Wait Until Dark, Roman Holiday, one of the few rom coms I like).

Also, I didn't know Belle was based on Audrey and I don't really see it, tbh. Not in looks or manner really. I can definitely see her angular looks and graceful figure in Aurora though, and her eyebrows and doe eyes in Anya.
I'm so sorry you've been harassed by two people who were obsessed with Marilyn. I don't know why she has so many obsessive fans. Like you said, I don't think she has nearly as much beauty as much as sex appeal and even then, that's mainly because she was a big star in the 1950s and was willing to do things other actresses wouldn't. Put her in the current century and I don't think anyone would really look at her twice since she wouldn't be anymore daring than any other contemporary actress. I think her early death is definitely responsible for making her an icon of sort, same with James Deanm because the public has always been fascinated by these two figures ever since and can't seem to let them go. I definitely feel sorry for all her mental issues but that doesn't mean I have to like her or approve of all her choices like you said. Thankfully I've been spared from any harsh treatment from her crazy fans.

I've never been an Audrey fan though I know I'm a minority when it comes to that. I wonder if part of the reason is a particular Audrey who would wax on and on about how her two idols were either Stepford Wives or Audrey Hepburn, so that probably tainted her for me. Her movies are fine but I've never found them particularly rewatchable. I think the main reason she's been tainted for me is because she carried on an adulterous relationship with William Holden. I first knew her for that and so whenever I think of her, I always am reminded of that (it's also why I don't like Angelina Jolie). I still remember a story where William Holden (who is also a dirtbag whose movies I avoid) used to bring his girlfriends home to dinner with his wife and his wife felt very nervous around Audrey because she felt Audrey exuded class and was afraid of losing her husband to him. Meanwhile, here I am wondering how Audrey could have any class at all in a situation like that as the other woman. Angelina Jolie is also a humanitarian and I admire her works as well, but as a person, I can't get over how they were both willing to break up another woman's marriage.

I think Belle's resemblance to Audrey Hepburn was mostly apparent in this old concept art but her design changed later on. In the final movie, she's mostly based off of Jo March and especially Katharine Hepburn's version of Jo. I think some of Belle's more ballerina type movements came from Audrey and I believe her golden ballgown was based off of Audrey's ballgown from Roman Holiday (which I think was also colored gold in real life). For Anya, a lot of the influence from Audrey Hepburn was because Anastasia was originally meant to be an animated adaptation of My Fair Lady and there are still elements of that in the final film with Dimitri and Vlad trying to mold this little orphan girl into a grand duchess.
Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion 02e779663a7b7afc4a8642b1dcae17b6--disney-concept-art-disney-art
Back to top Go down
OnTheMoonAtLast

OnTheMoonAtLast

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 11:02 am

jeangreyforever wrote:

I'm so sorry you've been harassed by two people who were obsessed with Marilyn. I don't know why she has so many obsessive fans. Like you said, I don't think she has nearly as much beauty as much as sex appeal and even then, that's mainly because she was a big star in the 1950s and was willing to do things other actresses wouldn't. Put her in the current century and I don't think anyone would really look at her twice since she wouldn't be anymore daring than any other contemporary actress. I think her early death is definitely responsible for making her an icon of sort, same with James Deanm because the public has always been fascinated by these two figures ever since and can't seem to let them go. I definitely feel sorry for all her mental issues but that doesn't mean I have to like her or approve of all her choices like you said. Thankfully I've been spared from any harsh treatment from her crazy fans.

I've never been an Audrey fan though I know I'm a minority when it comes to that. I wonder if part of the reason is a particular Audrey who would wax on and on about how her two idols were either Stepford Wives or Audrey Hepburn, so that probably tainted her for me. Her movies are fine but I've never found them particularly rewatchable. I think the main reason she's been tainted for me is because she carried on an adulterous relationship with William Holden. I first knew her for that and so whenever I think of her, I always am reminded of that (it's also why I don't like Angelina Jolie). I still remember a story where William Holden (who is also a dirtbag whose movies I avoid) used to bring his girlfriends home to dinner with his wife and his wife felt very nervous around Audrey because she felt Audrey exuded class and was afraid of losing her husband to him. Meanwhile, here I am wondering how Audrey could have any class at all in a situation like that as the other woman. Angelina Jolie is also a humanitarian and I admire her works as well, but as a person, I can't get over how they were both willing to break up another woman's marriage.

I think Belle's resemblance to Audrey Hepburn was mostly apparent in this old concept art but her design changed later on. In the final movie, she's mostly based off of Jo March and especially Katharine Hepburn's version of Jo. I think some of Belle's more ballerina type movements came from Audrey and I believe her golden ballgown was based off of Audrey's ballgown from Roman Holiday (which I think was also colored gold in real life). For Anya, a lot of the influence from Audrey Hepburn was because Anastasia was originally meant to be an animated adaptation of My Fair Lady and there are still elements of that in the final film with Dimitri and Vlad trying to mold this little orphan girl into a grand duchess.
Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion 02e779663a7b7afc4a8642b1dcae17b6--disney-concept-art-disney-art

Thank you, and agreed on MM and James. I don't think it's even Audrey's acting that really captivates people but her charm on screen and chemistry with her costars. I did hear about a possible affair ages ago but it shocked me so much I guess I put it out of my mind because it was just too hard to accept. That's awful though. Did anyone back then not get into infidelity? It's funny to see people wax nostalgic about how "classy" old Hollywood is and how trashy celebs are now like anything's changed. Stars cheated left and right and had so much drama and drug abuse going on.

And I can see a resemblance there much better. I've also heard Belle was inspired by Jo and while it's no surprise Woolverton is a Jo stan, I still don't see it beyond the stubbornness and love of books since Belle is graceful, a romantic, and proper, so... more like Meg and Amy then.
Back to top Go down
OnTheMoonAtLast

OnTheMoonAtLast

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 11:19 am

But to get back on topic, it's a great movie and doesn't quite get the love it deserves imo. Even when people praise it they always seem to feel a need to bash Aurora, and sometimes Phillip, in the process (*cough* Nostalgia Critic).

The movie is a lot more female focused any other DP movie besides Cinderella (which has another unfairly hated heroine) and Frozen (same for Anna). The women have diverse personalities. Aurora shows strength in not running away or throwing a fit when her life is turned upside down. She's even sharp enough to shake off Maleficent's hypnosis for a moment. She was dreamy and restless before the 1990s girls made it cool (/s). We've got meaner heroines around so the level of hate she gets is strange and the critics always sound like they have to work to find a valid excuse to trash her. Something about pretty women and women who are happy being feminine just angers some people.

Phillip gets much less hate (as the princes tend to do... gee, wonder why?) but I've even heard him get criticized as flat or too pushy with Aurora. One even called him a misogynist?? Weird.

And Maleficent, she's cool but I don't get the hype. There are better Disney villains out there and I don't know why the remorseless satanic archetype needed a sad backstory but not villains that clearly better fit the mother-daughter story (Grimhilde, Gothel).

So there's my SB appreciation post. 😂
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 2:38 pm

OnTheMoonAtLast wrote:
jeangreyforever wrote:

Thank you, and agreed on MM and James. I don't think it's even Audrey's acting that really captivates people but her charm on screen and chemistry with her costars. I did hear about a possible affair ages ago but it shocked me so much I guess I put it out of my mind because it was just too hard to accept. That's awful though. Did anyone back then not get into infidelity? It's funny to see people wax nostalgic about how "classy" old Hollywood is and how trashy celebs are now like anything's changed. Stars cheated left and right and had so much drama and drug abuse going on.

And I can see a resemblance there much better. I've also heard Belle was inspired by Jo and while it's no surprise Woolverton is a Jo stan, I still don't see it beyond the stubbornness and love of books since Belle is graceful, a romantic, and proper, so... more like Meg and Amy then.
Hollywood studios were very protective of their stars and their stars' images because they knew that if the public knew about the affairs, that would destroy their reputations and they weren't willing to give up on bankable stars. So a lot of celebrities back then, just like now, had sordid stories but back then there was more of an effort to conceal all that. It really wasn't any different from today, same with the drug abuse and feuds like you mentioned. Social media has just made it easier for the proliferation of information like this to leak out and become gossip.

I think the main attribute she got from Jo was a love for reading since Linda felt Belle had no drive or motivations before and she needed a hobby.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 2:39 pm

OnTheMoonAtLast wrote:
But to get back on topic, it's a great movie and doesn't quite get the love it deserves imo. Even when people praise it they always seem to feel a need to bash Aurora, and sometimes Phillip, in the process (*cough* Nostalgia Critic).

The movie is a lot more female focused any other DP movie besides Cinderella (which has another unfairly hated heroine) and Frozen (same for Anna). The women have diverse personalities. Aurora shows strength in not running away or throwing a fit when her life is turned upside down. She's even sharp enough to shake off Maleficent's hypnosis for a moment. She was dreamy and restless before the 1990s girls made it cool (/s). We've got meaner heroines around so the level of hate she gets is strange and the critics always sound like they have to work to find a valid excuse to trash her. Something about pretty women and women who are happy being feminine just angers some people.

Phillip gets much less hate (as the princes tend to do... gee, wonder why?) but I've even heard him get criticized as flat or too pushy with Aurora. One even called him a misogynist?? Weird.

And Maleficent, she's cool but I don't get the hype. There are better Disney villains out there and I don't know why the remorseless satanic archetype needed a sad backstory but not villains that clearly better fit the mother-daughter story (Grimhilde, Gothel).

So there's my SB appreciation post. 😂
I don't watch Nostalgia Critic but I've heard people say that he's hardly nostalgic at all since most of his videos are just about trashing the stuff we grew up loving.

It really is so feminist in the fact that the leads are all women and especially three older women. Yet that's a fact that never gets thrown out in mainstream media when everyone talks about how outdated and sexist those early movies were compared to the new ones. I'm glad Walt didn't make the fairies interchangeable in personality the way he wanted to but the animators convinced him that was a mistake. I feel like Aurora's looks are also a reason why she gets so much criticism because she's arguably the most beautiful princess and some people can't get past that. It's the same way Barbie is attacked for her looks and how that must mean she has no depth.

I've heard the same attacks on Phillip that he is too pushy and almost rapey. Funny how that is a thing but nobody thinks about Flynn taking a girl who's never met another human male before besides him into a pub full of drunk ruffians and thugs. And Naveen never gets told off for being sleazy and sleeping around. If there's any prince who had clearly "been around," it's Naveen for sure but Flynn probably would classify as well. I've seen some weird fanfics that also demonize Phillip and make him abusive and controlling of Aurora (which are just as bad as the high school fanfics where Aurora is Regina George 2.0 and Phillip basically hates her but is stuck with her because of popularity).

Maleficent is one of my favorite Disney Villains but that was mainly in the 2000s when she wasn't as beloved and iconic as she was now. Merchandise of just her was pretty rare and she wasn't a household name back then the way the Evil Queen, Ursula, or Cruella were. Now I think she's overrated because people only gush over her. I prefer Grimhilde.
Back to top Go down
Disney Dusty

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 3:07 am

I love what you guys are saying!

Even though the fairies might be the lead, I always feel it is really Aurora and Phillip. That is just my opinion, I get why people say the leads are the fairies. I just wish there was evidence from the Disney archives saying the fairies were intended to be the leads.

Maleficent is considered the best Disney villain because she's just so badass and awesome, and I agree with it, because she's my favorite.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptySun Mar 28, 2021 11:11 pm

Disney Dusty wrote:
I love what you guys are saying!

Even though the fairies might be the lead, I always feel it is really Aurora and Phillip. That is just my opinion, I get why people say the leads are the fairies. I just wish there was evidence from the Disney archives saying the fairies were intended to be the leads.

Maleficent is considered the best Disney villain because she's just so badass and awesome, and I agree with it, because she's my favorite.
I don't know if Disney intended the fairies to be the leads. I think it's sorta like how the mice and dwarfs have a lot of screentime in Cinderella and Snow White. The same is true here with the fairies except because Aurora can't be introduced until later into the film because of the extended opening, and because she's asleep for the final third of the movie, that means she doesn't get as much screentime so it seems the fairies are the real leads. But I don't think think they were intended to be.

Has the live-action version of Maleficent done anything to hurt your opinion of the animated version?
Back to top Go down
Disney Dusty

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 1:18 am

Yes, I always felt the fairies' screentime was similar to that of the Dwarfs and mice, just more extreme.

No, the live-action Maleficent movies had no bearing on how I feel about the one true original Maleficent.
Back to top Go down
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 29, 2021 4:50 pm

Disney Dusty wrote:
Yes, I always felt the fairies' screentime was similar to that of the Dwarfs and mice, just more extreme.

No, the live-action Maleficent movies had no bearing on how I feel about the one true original Maleficent.
Glad we agree on that.

Lol, I'm glad your love for her wasn't affected by that monstrosity of a movie.
Back to top Go down
Farerb

Farerb

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyThu Apr 29, 2021 9:07 am

These will be released at Disney stores in Japan:

Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion Fb_img10
Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion Fb_img12
Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion Fb_img11

Why do they release a lot of impressive merch in Japan but not in the US?
Back to top Go down
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyThu Apr 29, 2021 3:51 pm

Those are SO NICE!!!!!!!!! I wonder why different countries get different merchandise...
Back to top Go down
https://animationresearchavenue.blogspot.com/
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyThu Apr 29, 2021 6:49 pm

Japan always gets the best Disney merchandise. I used to import some of their products but it's frankly really expensive to do so, especially with the amount of products Japan makes. I kinda avoid looking up new products now so I don't feel tempted lol.

I wish American Disney culture was the same as Japanese Disney culture though. They value the classic movies way more than we do here and they have a better Disney Princess franchise as well.
Back to top Go down
D82

D82

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptySat May 01, 2021 2:37 am

Oh, I love those figures of the three fairies! I normally don't buy any Disney merch, just the movies and some books, but that's something I would be tempted to buy if I found it in a store.
Back to top Go down
AuroraJasmine

AuroraJasmine

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptySat May 01, 2021 9:22 am

Nice figures! That reminds me, my friend got me two pictures of Ariel and Jasmine from Japan in a type of painting style. The style that uses dots/spots, I think. I can’t remember what that specific style is called though, who knows it might not even be the same style.
Back to top Go down
https://www.quotev.com/midnightfairy
WhiteLagoon

WhiteLagoon

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyWed May 19, 2021 1:59 pm

Sad Sad Sad

Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion What-an-awkward-situation-disney-princess-43929301-480-483
Back to top Go down
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyWed May 19, 2021 8:30 pm

Why couldn't they have squeezed Aurora onto the picture? That stinks. Sad (and lol @ Aurora as Maleficent)
Back to top Go down
https://animationresearchavenue.blogspot.com/
jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion EmptyWed May 19, 2021 8:40 pm

WhiteLagoon wrote:
Sad Sad Sad

Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion What-an-awkward-situation-disney-princess-43929301-480-483
This is why I don't have any faith in the current direction for Disney's princess line because of how they are so eager to throw aside one of their classic princesses made by Walt Disney himself. I'm frankly surprised they included Snow White. The action broom pose is so unnecessary though and doesn't represent Snow White at all. Disney is so ashamed of their legacy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion   Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Sleeping Beauty (1959) Discussion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next