Disney Mania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Disney and the future of physical home media formats

Go down 
+5
PixarFan88
No-Personality
Dr Frankenollie
jpanimation
Barbossa
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Barbossa

Barbossa

Disney and the future of physical home media formats Empty
PostSubject: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 4:08 am

I'm just bringing this over from UD, something I posted in the Lion King Diamond Edition thread:

Quote :
I'm reading Luke's review and this caught my eye in the "What's Missing?" section:

Quote :
The missed opportunities are all the more disappointing because there is no chance of a better edition coming anytime soon. Disney will only release a title as popular as this an event. It will probably be another eight years until a new set, assuming that Disney is still selling movies on disc then.

So, could this be the last time we get to see the movie on some physical home media format? I really, really hope the industry doesn't go into full-on streaming or download

So, what are your thoughts? Will the Diamond Editions and Blu-Rays be the last time we see our favourite Disney Classics on some sort of physical home media format?
Back to top Go down
jpanimation

jpanimation

PostSubject: Re: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 6:25 am

I hope not but I fear so.
Back to top Go down
Dr Frankenollie

Dr Frankenollie

PostSubject: Re: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 12:47 pm

I sincerely hope that Disney doesn't go forward with this possibility, or for that matter any other movie studio for their releases. I much prefer a physical collection rather than a virtual one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.onethousandandonemovienights.blogspot.com/
No-Personality

No-Personality

PostSubject: Re: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 2:56 pm

I don't feel like I got anything accomplished in doing so... but this is the reason why I've been bitching the last few years about how evil Disney's moritorium policy is. I guess I was hoping if enough people cared, we could agree that it needed to stop. As for what action might have occurred, anything (or not knowing anything would come of it) would be better than nothing.
Back to top Go down
PixarFan88

PixarFan88

PostSubject: Re: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 5:42 pm

I personally feel foolish buying the same movie over and over again every time a new format gets released, only to watch it once or twice. I also do not know how they can top Blu-Ray (maybe Super-Ray?).
Back to top Go down
Scarred4life

Scarred4life

PostSubject: Re: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:09 pm

^ Well, I'm okay if it's a different format, but having the movie twice on DVD seems a bit silly to me. But yes, nothing compares to having the physical thing.
Back to top Go down
Disney's Divinity

PostSubject: Re: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 2:00 am

PixarFan88 wrote:
I also do not know how they can top Blu-Ray (maybe Super-Ray?).
They'll find a way. In 2500, they'll still be claiming the newest release as "Better than it's ever been seen before!!1!"
Back to top Go down
Barbossa

Barbossa

PostSubject: Re: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 7:25 am

PixarFan88 wrote:

It'll just be like a Holodeck on the USS Enterprise-D. You'll be able to be in the movie as well. Cool
Back to top Go down
enigmawing

enigmawing

PostSubject: Re: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:21 pm

Barbossa wrote:
PixarFan88 wrote:
It'll just be like a Holodeck on the USS Enterprise-D. You'll be able to be in the movie as well. Cool
Dude! Maybe I should sell all my Blu-rays to save up for the new format! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Scarred4life

Scarred4life

PostSubject: Re: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Well, they always think of something new. Just look at 3D printers! I'm sure that in 20+ years people will be looking back on Blu-ray just as we are looking back on VHS now.
Back to top Go down
Disney's Divinity

PostSubject: Re: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats EmptySun Mar 14, 2021 5:56 pm

Looks like the end hasn't come just yet, but we're getting there. The Lion King was eventually re-released via the Signature Line. I don't know, I think they'll still release Blu-rays at least through online retailers and the Disney Movie Club.
Back to top Go down
CoolZDane

CoolZDane

PostSubject: Re: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 10:01 pm

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Looks like the end hasn't come just yet, but we're getting there. The Lion King was eventually re-released via the Signature Line. I don't know, I think they'll still release Blu-rays at least through online retailers and the Disney Movie Club.

Speaking of 'Signature Collection' and/or 'Movie Club', would anyone be interested in signing this petitions?
https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-the-walt-disney-signature-collection (to keep that Signature Collection line coming, starting with "The Jungle Book (1967)".)
https://www.change.org/p/walt-disney-more-disney-animated-classics-on-blu-ray (to see "Make Mine Music", "Melody Time", "The Black Cauldron", etc. come on Blu-ray.)
https://www.change.org/p/disney-movie-club-4k-uhd-exclusives-at-dmc (to see 4K UHD exclusives from Disney Movie Club.)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqeQHsY-b31adYZxVW43Hag/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disney and the future of physical home media formats   Disney and the future of physical home media formats Empty

Back to top Go down

Disney and the future of physical home media formats
Page 1 of 1