HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

So, who's unemployed?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Barbossa

PostSubject: So, who's unemployed?   Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:13 am

So, anyone else unemployed right now? I just spent a good two hours working on adjusting my resume to a targeted one. I've been unemployed since April. Decided to move to Calgary earlier in the summer in search of work, but still haven't had any interviews. Hmm, maybe I should go join the Occupy Wall Street protest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SirNandor

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:19 am

Unemployed here... Graduated college about a month ago, waiting for someone to employ me Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TSC

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 am

Still taking college. I lucked out (would of graduated in 2010.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr Frankenollie

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:36 pm

TSC wrote:
Still taking college. I lucked out (would of graduated in 2010.

Are you going to pursue an artistic career?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.onethousandandonemovienights.blogspot.com/
Scarred4life

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:04 pm

Well, I'm still in school, but finding a part time job is damn hard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Disney's Divinity

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:05 pm

I haven't had a job the past few years, though I've tried to find one. The one good thing about that is I've been able to focus on my college work (you have to have at least a 3.75 GPA to be an English teacher).

Thankfully, a lot of teachers are retiring in the schools around my area, and I likely could get hired for the next school year Fall 2012. I'm going to student teach at my former high school and all the faculty loved me when I was in school. As long as I do a good job, I'll most likely get hired since 2 teachers are retiring/leaving in the Spring. bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barbossa

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:34 pm

It's tough to find anything career related. Entry-level work is the biggest challenge - there just aren't any entry level jobs out there. I spent ten years in post secondary studies getting three pieces of paper that say I'm educated. I'm 32 now and seriously concerned about my future. Part of my background is marketing. Problem is, when someone spots marketing on your resume, they automatically think you are good at sales. I'm not. I'm an introvert. However, I really enjoy marketing research and marketing/promotions campaign development - now if I could just find an entry-level job in that area.

I hope the occupy Wall Street protest grows into something bigger. I read that there will be one started on Bay Street in Toronto in a couple weeks. Also read that this OWS protest originated in Vancouver. Some local magazine there ran some article on the topic and that's what got it going.

The challenge in this whole situation is to stay positive and keep moving forward. (I think I borrowed those last three words from Meet the Robinsons Wink )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PixarFan88

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:42 pm

I sadly lost my job of three years around late May. I used to work part time at a building known as Peckham, which hires people with disabilities. I was hired around early 2008 and then around late May this year, they started laying off their part time employees. I have been trying to find another job, but I have to wait until the Michigan Rehabilitation Program (the people who helped me find work 4 years ago. I am not a drug addict.) can get me started back up. It's a very long and annoying process.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barbossa

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:13 am

This thread is an interesting read, from the Red Flag Deals Careers section:
*I was gonna post a link here to a good read on another message board, but I got a message that new members can't post external links for the first 7 days. We're all new here so stay tuned for the link*

That's about it. And I agree that the internet has not made things easier for job hunting, but much, much harder.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scarred4life

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Yes! I got two calls for interviews today! Very Happy

We shall see how they go....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barbossa

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:26 am

Scarred4life wrote:
Yes! I got two calls for interviews today! Very Happy

We shall see how they go....

Lucky! I sent out a bunch of resumes during the Thanksgiving long weekend, so I'm hoping I get some calls this week.

How did you apply to get those interviews? Walk-in? Online? Mailed-in your resume?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PixarFan88

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:07 pm

I recently got off the phone with someone from Peckham (my old workplace) I am going back there Friday morning to figure out what kind of positions are available for me. Hopefully, it won't be long before I am employed again and bringing in some money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scarred4life

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Barbossa wrote:
How did you apply to get those interviews? Walk-in? Online? Mailed-in your resume?

Walk in. I did a big circuit of the stores near me in August, so I was pretty surprised when I got not one, but two calls on Saturday. I hope you get some calls!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barbossa

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Scarred4life wrote:
Barbossa wrote:

Walk in. I did a big circuit of the stores near me in August, so I was pretty surprised when I got not one, but two calls on Saturday. I hope you get some calls!

Ah, retail I see. I'm looking for corporate jobs with my post-secondary background - and these are a lot tougher to snag. I should be out at one of the Occupy protests protesting corporate hiring practices. Wink Finding postings online is easy, but acquiring work when you could be up against 500 or more people applying for the same position, well, lets just say the internet has fracked-up job hunting as we know it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scarred4life

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Barbossa wrote:
Ah, retail I see. I'm looking for corporate jobs with my post-secondary background - and these are a lot tougher to snag. I should be out at one of the Occupy protests protesting corporate hiring practices. Wink Finding postings online is easy, but acquiring work when you could be up against 500 or more people applying for the same position, well, lets just say the internet has fracked-up job hunting as we know it.

Yes. I can't even imagine how hard it is to find a full time corporate job, if it's this hard for a part time one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barbossa

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:57 pm

Some good news my way, I got my first interview since moving to Calgary in June. It's not in my career path, but it will help me get thru the winter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scarred4life

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:54 pm

^ That's awesome! Good luck, and I hope you get the job! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barbossa

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Scarred4life wrote:
^ That's awesome! Good luck, and I hope you get the job! Smile

Thanks. Interview is tomorrow morning. I'm actually not sure what position it's for as I applied to a bunch with the same resume and cover letter. The work is pretty much what I was doing the last two winters in Kelowna.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barbossa

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:32 pm

I did my interview today. I think it went well. Just as soon as I was driving out of the parking lot, my phone started ringing on me - I got another interview tomorrow! With a company that fits my career path. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr Frankenollie

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:58 pm

I hope you get the job Barbossa. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.onethousandandonemovienights.blogspot.com/
Barbossa

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Hmm, not sure what to do right now. Got a bit of a dilemma. I was offered a job! Starts immediately with cross training into other departments.

Here's my dilemma, I had an interview with another company yesterday, that is more related to my career path. The only thing that is stalling the outcome of that potential opportunity was the interviewer wanted to get in touch with a reference of mine, so I supplied him with that information.

So what do I do?
Accept immediately from Employer "A"?
or
Wait to see what Employer "B" has to offer?

Darn, never was in a situation like this. The last time I had an interview was in 2008 - but that job only lasted two months due to the economic crash. The last job I had I didn't have to interview for as I volunteered for the organization before offering my services as a staff member - this position is related to what I would be doing for Employer A. The job I had in 2008 is related to what I would be doing for Employer B. What to do...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scarred4life

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:57 pm

^ Well, if it is possible to stall employer A, do it, but if not, take the job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Barbossa

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:24 am

Scarred4life wrote:
^ Well, if it is possible to stall employer A, do it, but if not, take the job.

I took the job with employer A. I had to. My bank account is pretty much running out of money. If the other employer responds and offers more money, then, it's as simple as switching. The pay with employer A is not much and problem is it is not in my career path. So if something better comes along I'm definitely switching. The good thing is this organization I'm working for is a well respected recrational entity in Canada, so if I have them on my resume, I'm hoping it will open more doors for me. But I have to find a job that pays at least $20 - I got student loans I need to pay off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, who's unemployed?   

Back to top Go down

So, who's unemployed?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Disney Mania :: Backstage :: General Discussions-
Jump to: